Advertising

View topic - APP -- Achray, Carcajou, Barron Canyon solo trip...

It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: APP -- Achray, Carcajou, Barron Canyon solo trip...
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:16 pm 

I'm hoping to get outta here (Haliburton) early on Sept. 10th, drive to Achray, paddle to Carcajou Bay and High Falls area for a look see. Plan to stay 1, maybe 2 nights. I don't want to do many portages on this venture, I'm an old fart and am bringing to much stuff. Is the scenery worth the work it will take me to get into Upper Spectacle (3 sites), or Lower S[pectacle (only 1 site), or should I just stay on the Bay?

From there I'll return to Achray, drive to Squirrel Rapids and paddle up and into the Barron Canyon and camp in there somewhere for another 4 or 5 nights. I did the Achray to Squirrel Rapids trip in late September of 2004. Pics of that trip are on my website below.

Anybody going to be in the area during the time I'll be there?

Regards, Paul.

Located in Wellington, ON

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 6:04 pm 

Spectacle Lakes are not very scenic, but the passage from the top of High Falls through to the Lower Spectacle Lake is neat. (There are two sites on Lower Spectacle Lake, but one may be resting.) Probably best to camp on Carcajou Bay and then explore High Falls, Carcajou Creek, Spectacle Lake(s) etc. as a day trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 8:00 pm 

Thanks for reply, slipper. I'll take your advice. It looks like I'm not able to get outta here until Thursday afternoon, and have to return on the 14th, or early 15th.

Regards, Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 9:07 am 

Mr. Haliburton,

I agree the most comfortable campsites will be in Carcajou Bay, especially the first campsite on the left when entering, with the large rock exposure.

The Spectacle-Carcajou area is in one of the northern vegetation zones in the mix of southern deciduous and northen coniferous forest types that make up the park's landscape. It's not as spectacular as the Barron Canyon, or Opalescent and Cork lakes, OTOH, you might discover some places well worth checking out, and there'll be far fewer people.

Some say that Thomson's "Northern River" scene was taken from Carcajou Creek. Whatever the source actually was, it's effective in bringing out the northern character of those parts of the park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2006, 10:05 pm 

Thanks for the additional info, frozentripper. Much appreciated. I'm still stuck here in Haliburton. It now looks like I won't get up there until first or second week of October. Shorter days, but the leaves will be better than they are now...

Regards, Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 8:03 am 

Haliburton...

The road to Achray is closed sometime after Thanksgiving, with a locked gate about 1 km from Grand lake, so if it is closed when you arrive, you'll have to park at the gate and portage all your gear in. Might save you some driving time if you don't want to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 9:44 am 

That's good to know, frozentripper. I was not aware. No way I'm going to haul all my stuff from the gate to Achray campground. Thanksgiving is October 9th this year, so if I want to do the Carcajou Bay area, and I do, it'll have to be before the 9th. Then I'll go to Squirrel Rapids and access the Barron Canyon from that end.

Thanks for info.

Regards, Paul.