View topic - St. Lawrence Islands National Park

It is currently August 20th, 2017, 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2002, 7:34 am 

Don't know much about the thousand islands, but I know there are some established paddle routes. Check out http://www.paddle1000.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2002, 8:49 am 

I have paddled in the Navy and Admiralty islands quite a bit.
Endymion, Camelot and Gordon and Mulcaster are good camping islands.
I have usually parked at Misty Isles motel about 5 miles east of Gananoque on the parkway and paid to have supervised parking.
You will find powerboaters on all the islands. They usually dont stray far from the dock and picnic tables however, and even on July 1-4 I have found good campsites empty.
The brochure from St Lawrence Islands National Park lists what is a camping island and what is not.
There is a waterproof chart from 1-800-423-9026 (Waterproof Charts Inc) that covers the whole area in one paddler friendly size. I cant find the chart right now to give you the mumber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 7:54 pm 

My wife and I have been looking at the 1000 Islands area for our September vacation and are wondering if paddling an open canoe (Mad River Explorer) is reasonable in these waters. We are thinking about paddling to one of the island campsites and perhaps doing day trips from there. Or perhaps setting up at a mainland campground and doing day trips.

Anybody with experience here that can advise us?

Fritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2006, 5:15 pm 

I spent from age 14--17 living in Rockport. My only means to go fishing etc was in a open canoe. The only hazards are inconsiderate power boaters and the wind. I found routes between the islands where the boaters do not go and also found that the wind wasn't so bad.

It is a good place to go for the experiences

The people are friendly as well

There is this little island off Tar Island which has FN rock paintings. There are more towards the international bridge. I would also suggest going to a library's history section and learn about early days in the area.

Canoedad

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2006, 9:08 pm 

Thanks Canoedad.

Anyone else who can comment on this?

Fritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 8:47 am 

The link in reply 2 leads to this guidbook, which I used on my first canoe trip.

http://www.paddle1000.com/about.html

It's well worth having along.

Also wanted is waterproof chart #78

For our first-ever multi-day canoe trip my daughter and I put in at Gananoque and stayed at the St. Lawrence Islands National Park island sites on our way to Malorytown Landing. We figured if anything went terribly wrong we could swim to shore. There are lots of cotages and boat traffic, so it's not "wilderness" camping. The one drawback is there is no potable water available at any of their campsites, and with all the boats, I would not choose to filtre the water from the river. There is a park on the mainland just under the Thousand Islands bridge about halfway between Gananoque and Malorytown landing. We stayed there one night so we could stock up on water.

I advise you head downstream and downwind, like we did. There is no problem doing this in an open canoe. We did it in our Pelican/Coleman 16.6 Explorer. It's was really neat canoing under the bridge where the water was "dancing" , drops of water jumping up from the surface. Be sure to check out the wreck

Be sure to bring swim masks and check out the wreck by Schooner Point. on the south-east end of Grenadier Island (route 7 of the above link).

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 11:34 am 

While the website mentioned above seems to have gone to internet heaven, there is another great site with information on this site seems to be a good alternative:

http://www.frontenacarchbiosphere.ca/explore/fab-trails/paddle/thousand-islands-paddling-trail