Advertising

View topic - Canoe Rentals - Kawartha Highlands

It is currently November 24th, 2014, 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canoe Rentals - Kawartha Highlands
PostPosted: August 14th, 2007, 2:33 pm 

Can anyone recommend an outfitter for canoe rentals somewhere between the GTA and the Kawartha Highlands area?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2007, 4:52 pm 

They're not an outfitter, but Long Lake Lodge rents canoes. I'm not sure how much they are now - I haven't had to rent a canoe for some time. You can check out more info here: http://longlakelodge.ca/index.htm

Good luck!

"To succeed you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality."

"The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example."

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2007, 5:47 pm 

You can rent from Wildrock outfitters in Peterborough www.wildrock.net

and

Adventure Outfitters in Lakefield http://www.adventureoutfitters.ca/contact.html

I don't know off the top of my head is there are any other outfitters closer to the highlands itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2007, 12:03 pm 

I rented a couple of times from Long Lake Lodge last summer, never again. The same guy both times was downright mean, and the boats were in terrible shape and weighed a ton.

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2007, 2:42 pm 

arezee wrote:
I rented a couple of times from Long Lake Lodge last summer, never again. The same guy both times was downright mean, and the boats were in terrible shape and weighed a ton.

Just my 2 cents.

Gee, I always liked those guys...maybe somebody new around there?

"To succeed you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality."

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2007, 4:27 pm 

The Long Lake Lodge guys.... I have had good and bad impressions.

Darn it, the bad ones seem to stick to my memory - but let's face it, they have to put up with a lot of inexperienced and unreasonable "customers" since they are so close to Urbania.

bad canoes - yup, and also customers that will just drag the boats over the portages regardless of wear and tear and inflict other heavy use upon the boats.

mean - naw, not really. Maybe a bit tired of it all. Not bothering to have maps handy for folks that need them (at 5c a carbon copy, there should be no cost issue). One year, they had brought in a PWC as an experiment and were letting customers rip down the lake - and were not happy when I scrawled a snarky comment about that in the log book.

otherwise - it's a place where I can safely leave my car. The charges were not out of line with typical northern fees. Maybe they had a sweet deal with the MNR being in a monopoly position, but no one up north is getting rich off paddlers and I can live with the way how things are. As a park in the near future, they'll have to measure up to provincial standards and at that time, we can revisit the issue....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2007, 3:04 pm 

I remember when those guys first bought Long Lake Lodge; they were both sporting long pony tails and were really excited about the whole thing. I even remember it when the old couple used to own the place.

I think the guys' attitudes may have changed somewhat since it became a non-operating park. They don't seem to like that idea at all. As for canoe rentals, I can't really comment on that one because I've owned my own canoe for about 12 years or so. When I did rent them there, yes, they were in not great shape, and they were heavy...but....what do you expect for rentals....a Nova Craft Kevlar Ultralight?

I don't go there often any more, but whenever I do show up, they remember me. The last time I was there was a couple of summers ago when I was attempting to take a few of my female co-workers for a weekend. One of them became really ill by the time we reached the lodge with what we later found out was Strep Throat. We arrived there around 5:00 PM on a Friday, and any doctor's offices were closed by that time, so we had to turn around and take her to emergency in Peterborough on our way back home to Mississauga. It was raining the whole time, too. Anyway, the guys were kind enough to give us their map of the City of Peterborough so we could find the hospital. I still have it somewhere and will give it back to them next time I'm there.

Those guys may be a bit disgruntled about the upcoming park status, but I've never had a bad encounter with them.

"And that's all I have to say about that." -- Forrest Gump

Post subject: Re: Canoe Rentals - Kawartha Highlands
PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 7:30 am 

wow can't believe this stuff's been on here since 07 & this is the first I've seen or heard of it, as 1 of the owners of Long Lake Lodge allow me to respond to comments made on this forum (btw thanks for sticking up for us Nancy). My apologies to the poster who felt we were down right mean, we do try to be polite & professional with all our customers & most feedback to date has been of a positive nature, running this place is a huge responsibility, from ice out to ice in we generally work 12 to 14 hr days 7 days a week, life is not always a bowl of cherries, our canoes are all 16' Paluski the exact same you would rent from Adventure Outfitters (good all around canoes imho) we've been upgrading the fleet with new canoes every year since before these comments were posted (the newer prospector model weighs about 65 lbs) paddles & pfd's are upgraded yearly as well, we do have some good maps now in the store (supplied by Parks On.) we are also looking at bringing in a couple of Kevlar & perhaps full outfitting for 1 or 2 canoes, if there is enough demand. In regards to the Provincial Park status of the KHSS, opposition to that is now ancient history, there are many positive aspects to this being a Provincial Park and we will concentrate on those as we go forward........Thanks and Cheers! to all

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 7:43 am 

btw Erhard we do not now or have we ever rented or put a customer on a personal water craft (I own 1 which I let my daughter & the occasional friend ride) anyone who wishes to is free to launch a pwc in this lake and we usually see a dozen or so different people doing just that, as with any thing else you always get the odd jerk but most are responsible operators

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 8:05 am 

Alright, I stand corrected - I made the wrong assumption when witnessing the event.

How's the arrangement with Ontario Parks working out for you guys? What changes should we expect?

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 1:08 pm 

Quote:
(btw thanks for sticking up for us Nancy)

Hey you guys, good to hear from you here on CCR! It was great to see you again this May for my wilderness cleanup weekend. I hope to make it up there again soon, I love it there, it's like home to me. I can't seem to find that map of Peterborough any more, and I've looked all over for it! One day I will return it or bring you a new one.

Take care. I'll always stick up for you guys. :)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 5:39 am 

the park is now pretty much fully operational reservations have to be made for campsites, wardens have been hired, there is increased trail & campsite maintenance, glass & tin are banned, day use is free for now, that will probably change next year, for info call 613 332 3940 ext 261...don't worry about the map Nancy

PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 6:41 am 

Alright - so it seems to settle into its role as a Park. 'hope it works out OK for you guys as well.

About that map - I guess it's up to the Parks admin to put one out. Is there anything that you can tell us...? Is Chrismar about to produce one? They have made pretty good maps for other parks.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 6:37 am 

sorry no info on that, someone on park staff could probably answer that question
Quote:
just another sh@#ty day in paradise

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 6:43 am 

Quote:
....just another sh@#ty day in paradise

:wink: