Advertising

View topic - Oxtongue River

It is currently April 19th, 2014, 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2003, 10:43 am 
Can anyone give some insite to the Oxtongue River. We like to paddle for a day then sit and fish/explore for a day and paddle again the next day. Does the river give much opportunity for exploration or is it basically a one way trip? What about fishing? What kind of water levels and rapids can we expect in early August (or will we be hitting bottom the whole way if the summer is dry?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2003, 5:41 pm 
I have never done the entire route but have paddled section of the Oxtongue on several occassions, at different time of the year.

I don't think you will experience any problems with the water levels. I went there during September 01 (very dry year) and there were no problems paddling.

Regarding fishing... there are reportedly some big brook trout in that river but I have never seen one. August is also a tough time for trout fishing, I think you would have better luck in the spring. However, you might be able to find some brookies around the falls and rapids at that time of year.

I've seen lots of moose, and even a wolf one time, around that river.

Steve C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2003, 5:50 pm 

It is a nice 3-4 day trip from the Tea Lake dam down to algonquin outfitters, we have had good fishing for small to mid sized specs. You can do a day side trip and hike the western backpacking trail for a diversion from the river. 2 Nice campsites at high falls near the edge of the park. You could also portage off the river to westward lake to hunt some big specs, there are suposed to be some monsters in there, but I have had no luck and think the lake may be acid killed, however the water is super clear. You can see down 60-70 feet. About 950 meter portage and lake has no camp sites at least that is the way it has been in past years.

Never had problems with too little water, but the section below ragged falls gets a bit wild in high water.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2003, 12:37 pm 
Hi Gang

My wife and I have only paddled the Oxtongue from Ragged Falls into Oxtongue lake but it was a nice calm day trip in September of last year.

When we visited Ragged Falls in the spring the water above the falls although flat was moving pretty fast. As it came around the last two bends before going over the falls the current was moving at approx. 10-12mph (16 to almost 20 km/h if you're too young for miles). Since the portage starts on the last bend before the falls, we thought it could be a little too interesting for us novice paddlers.

If you are a novice you may want to consider a map of the river to help keep you out of trouble. I have never used one of the maps available from Chrismar so I don't know how good they are but they have one for the Oxtongue.

http://www.chrismar.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2003, 12:26 pm 

FYI - you cannot park at tea lake dam. If you plan on leaving a vehicle at that end, you'll be forced to park at canoe lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2003, 1:59 pm 

Algonquin Outfitters located on Oxtounge lake will shuttle you up to the Tea lake dam for a resonable price. They will park your car at their store on Oxtounge Lake so you can paddle right up to your car at the end of your trip down the river.

Two nights are plenty for this trip. Unless you take a day off to relax. Traffic noise from Hwy.#60 can be a downer at night.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Al Baars on 2003-03-24 14:05 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2003, 5:31 pm 

Just a side thought,

You also can do the trip as a loop, crossing
to park lake just outside Algonquin and working your way back up to Canoe via the south side of hwy 60. some longish low maint portages though.

Also an option could be made for a long loop down the oxtongue all the way down to lake of bays, and then back through Kawagama, Rockaway, Dividing, up through Smoke to Canoe. That would be a good week ~100k, not remote, some long tough portages, but a good loop.

Brian

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dreamstream on 2003-03-24 17:34 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2003, 8:11 pm 

FYI - Phone Algonquin outfitters, they would only shuttle us if we rented canoes from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2003, 8:56 pm 

I am VERY surprised to hear this of Algonquin Outfitters, they have been great any time I was there.

I can see it if you were trying to have them haul boats with trail head stickers on them or something like that. What if you own your own boat, what if you purchased the boat from them? would that be ok! what if you spent a chunk of change at the store, would that be OK!

I would not worry and would happily take my bussiness elsewhere, the area is crawling with students who I am sure would be willing to give you a ride back to canoe lake for a few bucks. Also there is a trailer park, campground and a variety of tourist traps only a short hike from the river that I am sure could be contracted to get you back to your vehicle.

Even call Langford Canoe in Dorset( a few miles from Algonquin Outfitters), I would bet they would know someone in the area to provide a shuttle.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2003, 7:58 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Just some information I found where Algonquin Outfitters specifically state that only outfitting customers can use the shuttle service. It's a pdf entitled
"Algonquin Outfitters Canoe Trip Planning Guide" down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.algonquinoutfitters.com/trip_download.html

Barbara