View topic - Wabakimi - a tentative route

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2017, 2:10 pm 

If you are going solo, do your best to start pretty early in the day to avoid the afternoon "breezes" that pop up, I have been windbound on Wabikimi and Smoothwater and thats with a strong paddling partner and a 17' canoe.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 7:41 am 

Mr Bubbles, I appreciate knowing the time span of your experience.

Gunnelbob, That is a good reminder. I love early morning paddling. Sometimes when there are a lot of mosquitoes I paddle a an hour or two until the sun chases the bulk of them away and then I have breakfast. Of course on this trip there won't be any wind or mosquitoes :D

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 1:11 pm 

I've been in Wabakimi via the west side a couple of times. What is your timeframe for entry and total days planned to be on the water? Just curious as it looks like an interesting route for the upcoming season.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer."

PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 1:40 pm 

Nandagikendan wrote:
What is your timeframe for entry and total days planned to be on the water? Just curious as it looks like an interesting route for the upcoming season.

I look forward to carefully going over the maps and again reviewing trip reports to come up with an estimate on the time frame. Right now I estimate the trip that is being discussed here could reasonably be done in 18 days solo without rushing too much. Many days less tandem. Of course weather is a variable. I plan to go in July.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

I have been looking again at true north's pictures of Cliff Lake. What a beautiful lake!

PostPosted: July 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm 

Nandagikendan wrote:
What is your timeframe for entry and total days planned to be on the water? Just curious as it looks like an interesting route for the upcoming season.

I just returned from this very memorable trip. We started at Magotte Lake, went to the 7 sisters area then headed up to smoothwater etc. finally exited at Pikititushi. It took us 16 days. That included pre-planned layover days at the 7 sisters on the Kopka and again at Cliff Lake. I will post a trip report when I can.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 4:27 pm 

ipaddle, I'm still waiting to read your report! The details of your route and some pix would may provide us with the seeds of a possible canoe trip! You hit two of our favourite spots and we've been talking about going back next summer.

https://albinger.me

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm 

Actually, I have been working on it. You should see it soon, hopefully no more than a week. Not sure how to handle the pictures though.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 9:52 am 

Ipaddle wrote:
Actually, I have been working on it. You should see it soon, hopefully no more than a week. Not sure how to handle the pictures though.

Marscanoe indicated a resizing source
I use Irfanview

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 4:17 pm 

Ok True_North. I put up the report. The pictures will have to wait a bit. If I recall correctly only 3 pictures can be put up per post. I actually couldn't find instructions on how to submit images.

The report itself is kind of long. It occurs to me, maybe I should have split it up.