View topic - Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands PP

It is currently September 25th, 2018, 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 1:34 pm 

There are cottages on the river portion of Fishog, they bring the party boats.

We usually go just past to Long Lake or Crooked Lake. No more party boats there.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 10:16 am 

izzy wrote:
t. There were some boat party people on Fishhog lake that must have access to the lake via private property. They were quite noisy at night but that didn't bother us much.

I;ve been thinking about doing some paddling up there but I've wondered just how crowded/busy it is.

I prefer solitude and silence when I go to the wilderness. Should I take this one of my "bucket list"??

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 10:54 am 

Long weekend crowds are not ideal. just like most parks, the deeper you go the more silent it is. Fishog is the Canoe Lake of QE Wildlands park if you get my meaning. I always see other parties when Im in the park but Ive always found my site peaceful and noise free.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

gnatwest wrote:
Long weekend crowds are not ideal. just like most parks, the deeper you go the more silent it is. Fishog is the Canoe Lake of QE Wildlands park if you get my meaning. I always see other parties when Im in the park but Ive always found my site peaceful and noise free.

So just go during midweek and should be ok?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 2:25 pm 

Midweek there is probably fine. On Fishog you still might see another group or two, but the lake is big enough that you will be able to get away from them.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 3:37 pm 

Midweek will be fine and if you go past Fishhog into Long Lake it will be pretty much be just you since their are only 2 camp sites.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 4:06 pm 

The park people do have new signage on Fishog and one that includes "no excessive noise at any time"
On the east side of the park they are strongly enforceing the camp on only signed sites.
If you have any concerns call the Park and express yourself.
705-454-3324
https://www.facebook.com/Qeiiwildlandsp ... =3&theater
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 5:04 pm 

jedi jeffi wrote:
The park people do have new signage on Fishog and one that includes "no excessive noise at any time"
On the east side of the park they are strongly enforceing the camp on only signed sites.
If you have any concerns call the Park and express yourself.

I didn't realize they did that sort of thing in "non-operating" parks

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 7:34 pm 

Which lakes do you mean by the east side?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 7:47 pm 

Fishog, Crooked, Victoria, Wolf, Sheldon, Scrablble, Cranberry (small east side one) Redboat.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm 

Thanks good to know. I was over to the Lutterworth area north and a hair east of Devil's lake few years back. A local cottager was grumpy about big groups setting up on the little island just up from the put in. Brad said that misuse lead to that lake being closed off to camp. Too bad in that if you travel from a ways off it could have been a possible stop if things ran late or afternoon thunderstorms delaying entry into the Beer Cr route Brad J did.

Cheers Steve

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 9:15 am 

Loon, Freshette and Jordan's Lake are go-too's for solitude. No cabins and some great sites.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am 

Stajanleafs wrote:
Loon, Freshette and Jordan's Lake are go-too's for solitude. No cabins and some great sites.

Where's Freshette lake in the park? I can't seem to find it on the map.

Also, has anyone been to Lower Beer Lake lately?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm 

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Fishog and ran into some park wardens. Looks like they are clamping down on camping on unsigned sites. They also gave us a tip that a property owner on the Fishog lake side of the Head lake->Fishog lake portage have cleared out some parking space and are offering parking for $10/night (honour system, canoes only - no motors), so you don't have to paddle across head lake, which is always the most difficult and boring part of the trip. The parking is on Limestone lane and apparently is marked with parking signs.

Wish I had known that before and we would have gone much further and settled on a lake that wasn't occupied by a large group of people who thought having a concert on their pontoon boat in the middle of the lake was a good, non-annoying idea.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 7:57 pm 

Any details----address or phone #?--re this parking spot?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.