View topic - Gettng from here to there

It is currently September 21st, 2018, 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 2:03 pm 

...and of course, even if you didn't have an inflatable, you could stash your kayak/canoe at the take-out, take a taxi back to your car, and drive down and pick it up.

But part of this comes down to whether the OP is asking about day trips in populated areas or multi-day backcountry trips.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 8:31 pm 

Dan M wrote:
...and of course, even if you didn't have an inflatable, you could stash your kayak/canoe at the take-out, take a taxi back to your car, and drive down and pick it up.

But part of this comes down to whether the OP is asking about day trips in populated areas or multi-day backcountry trips.

.... 3 words... No Cell Service,

Not only that, but for some of these rivers, you can go hundreds of kms before seeing civilization, much less an overpass.

Take The Spanish for example, the entire lake does not cross a major highway until after the major take out.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 9:01 pm 

swimmer_sppe, that was the point of the second line of my last reply. maxinet's system is for day trips in populated areas that would have cell service, taxi service and frequent road crossings. It's obviously not an approach you'd take for a backcountry canoe trip, but to be fair, your original post wasn't really clear about the context you're talking about.

I mean, talking about being stuck at the take-out without having figured out how to get home doesn't sound like backcountry trips to most people.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 9:41 pm 

Dan M wrote:
swimmer_sppe, that was the point of the second line of my last reply. maxinet's system is for day trips in populated areas that would have cell service, taxi service and frequent road crossings. It's obviously not an approach you'd take for a backcountry canoe trip, but to be fair, your original post wasn't really clear about the context you're talking about.

I mean, talking about being stuck at the take-out without having figured out how to get home doesn't sound like backcountry trips to most people.

Sorry, I should have been more clearer in the original post.

The bold is exactly why I am posting this. I am trying to sort of the take out. As I am finding out, it may not be nearly as bad s I thought.

Besides, as we head into winter, what better time to sort this out?