View topic - Noganosh - Flemings Landing Questions

It is currently November 17th, 2018, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm 

Hi there. We have a trip planned next week to paddle west on Pickrel to Smokey Lake in Noganosh. Our plan is to park at Flemings Landing.

My question is about the parking - is it ok to leave the car for a week at Flemings Landing? Is there any recommendations around doing this? Is it simply ok to do so?

And, are there thunderboxs on the campsite on Smokey Lake?

thanks!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 10:58 am 

Wasn't a box when we were there. Consider it a chance to work out those special leg muscles :) Parked at S or Es Narrows bridge on the highway to the west of there. (Fleming have no idea).

Cheers

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2017, 1:41 pm 

Mid week shouldn't be a problem parking at Fleming's. On weekends it might be harder to get a spot.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 6:19 am 

Never had a problem parking at Fleming's . Weekends it can get a bit crowded.
I didn't know there is a site on Smokey. Can you tell me where it is?

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 6:42 am 

I was in this area last year on a long weekend and parking didn't seem to be too much of an issue. I have no idea about thunderboxes on site, but since it is all un-maintained I'd say its probably a bit of a crap-shoot whether or not a site has a box. Some might and others won't.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 1:41 pm 

Any tips for put in /parking? Comparing Birchwood Trail or Flemings Landing or Ess Narrows. Heading up for first time this weekend.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2017, 4:23 pm 

Birchwood Trial IS Flemings Landing. (Isn't it?) The distances into Noganosh from either are roughly the same by canoe. You save a bit of driving by parking at Ess if you're coming from the west. Probably the more important consideration (for me) would be what the wind is up to on the way in and/or what it will likely be up to on the way out.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 11:06 pm 

I'm back from the trip. So Flemings Landing is the parking lot and put-in dock down Noganosh Prkw. (Parkway). The online maps show Flemings Landing being more west which is incorrect. More west are just cottage laneways. On our way in we gave up and asked a cottager who directed us to the road Noganosh Parkway which is just down Birchwood Trail off the 522 before you get to all the cottage laneways.

We got the last parking space. It was busy. Not just canoists but also fishing and a general put-in for boats of all types.

On our way out there were two cottagers there who own the cottage just at the portage into Smokey Lake. They were waiting for someone at Flemings and confirmed that it was Flemings Landing.

522 West -> Birchwood Trail -> lef tonto Noganosh Parkway. If you get to the cottage laneways, you've gone too far on Birchwood.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 11:31 am 

chicopeesnowshoe wrote:
Never had a problem parking at Fleming's . Weekends it can get a bit crowded.
I didn't know there is a site on Smokey. Can you tell me where it is?

4 sites... shitty picture....

Attachments:
smoke.png
smoke.png [ 342.23 KiB | Viewed 2364 times ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 7:53 pm 

Glad you found a spot Plexus. I always find the Landing hard to locate.

Thanks for the info, Rawcardo. Went past them at least twice and never noticed. Once it was in the dark, so I guess that time was understandable.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 6:44 pm 

hi everyone,im looking to go to noganosh neat spring.wondering if theres any other acces to noganosh other then throught ess narrows or flemmings landing.also im from michigan is there any camping fees. i heard theres no fee if im a canadian citizen but if us citizen there is.is there any maps on the lake with marked campsites or even without. thanks

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 7:04 pm 

Rondog88 wrote:
hi everyone,im looking to go to noganosh neat spring.wondering if theres any other acces to noganosh other then throught ess narrows or flemmings landing.also im from michigan is there any camping fees. i heard theres no fee if im a canadian citizen but if us citizen there is.is there any maps on the lake with marked campsites or even without. thanks

Hi. Here's what I know:

1. The only access points I know are Ess and Flemings. I was told that others have entered from the South somewhere but I do not know where exactly.

2. There are no camping fees. Its an unmaintained park and the park doesn't show up on the parks reservation system. I do not believe you need a permit. I can't say 100% for sure though.

3. There is no offical map of campsites, only unofficial ones.

Kevin Callan has a route book "A Paddler's Guide to Weekend Wilderness Adventures in Southern Ontario" is the only book I know that covers the park in terms of camping.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 8:00 pm 

Jonathan Kelly made a map of the area and posted it earlier this year:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... t=noganosh

You can access from other places, but Flemmings Landing or Ess Narrows are the closest public access points. There are many private cottages along the Pickerel River system with road access that would get you closer to Naganosh, but you'd have to know the person to park there or ask permission or whatever. It's not too far to paddle from either Flemmings or Ess anyway.

You can also put in at Port Loring, but you'd probably have to pay someone for parking. And it's a much longer paddle.

South access points and portages are less traveled and would be a longer distance. For example, you could put in at Wahwashkesh Lake and come up Farm Creek and through Island Lake, Kelsie Lake & John Lake. But I think you have to pay a yearly parking fee at Wahwashkesh (something like $30.00 last time I heard), and that route would be way more challenging- especially through Kelsie and into John. From the north you can get into Nagonosh in about 4-5 hours. From the south it would be a very long day, and probably more like two days.

It's now a fairly well-used lake. If you're in during the week or in the shoulder seasons you might not see anyone else. But on weekends you are very likely to see others and may not get your choice of campsite.