View topic - Early Christmas Present: Poster-Size Magnetawan Map

It is currently October 24th, 2018, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 6:02 pm 

This is the post where Wotrock discussed that "shortcut" & why I used it: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... p+Shortcut

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 7:37 pm 

Appreciate the confirmation Brad! Agreed. I took the Mag-Wah route this fall the long portage and development is the opposite of what I want in a route.

Thanks for the link to the other thread as well!

PostPosted: January 12th, 2018, 9:49 pm 

As promised, here are the updated files which include some feedback/contributions. Special thanks to Noah from Northern Scavenger who sent some info on the Legrou access point and surrounding routes (and to Brad Jennings who originally helped Noah!).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecs0amwrcmab ... AVnEa?dl=0

Anyway, I was feeling all stoked to continue ice fishing this weekend until I looked at this map again tonight, lit a spark inside myself far too early, and realized that I'm missing a piece of my soul. Thankfully ice fishing has been good to me this season on Pigeon Lake in the Kawarthas, so I'm getting by. This summer I hope to do some exploratory trips in the area and get some GPS tracks that will connect Island Lake northward to the Pickerel River. When my paddle hits the water for the first time in a few months, I'll be alive again.

A georeferenced copy of the map is also pending review on the Avenza Maps mobile app (free download). It should be up next week under the name "Magnetawan-Noganosh Backcountry Canoeing Map."

If you're not using this app yet, you're missing out. You can view products like Jeff's Map, Explore the Backcountry's QE2W map, topo maps, and countless other (often free) maps on it through your phone. Bring a backup battery or powerbank to charge your phone and you'll never need a GPS unit again with this app. You can even add GPS tracks and points to other people's maps that you download.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 7:12 pm 

The georeferenced PDF can be downloaded here from Avenza Maps or from the app on your phone.

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/808718

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:25 pm 

Thanks. I downloaded the Avenza app along with your map and a few others. Looking forward to checking out new areas with your map. Much appreciated for the hard work.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 12:37 pm 

I have GPS tracks for John to Kelsie if you still need them. Its a terrible portage and I would only recommend to people who are experienced. I'll try to post a pic of a route I did that connects all these areas.

I am interested in a route from Island Lake to the Pickerel River. I've been scouting this area for a while, had planned to try a route last summer but hernia surgery put a wrench into a lot of my summer plans.....

Hopefully this year I can try it!

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 12:46 pm 

Brad Thomas wrote:
Regarding Kashegaba to Whites Lake, it is at the dam. The portage is on the west side IIRC. The portage OUT of Whites into the Magnetawan had me scratching my head once-upon-a-time. The outlet from Whites splits into two little streams, and the portage is in the middle of them. When I was there last time there was a bunch of flagging tape on the west side and I followed it with my canoe on my back for quite some time before I realized I was on the wrong path.

The portage into the Magnetawan from Whites ends near a pretty waterfall.

This route is definitely better than paddling through Wah-wash-kesh then down the Magnetawan; unless you like long portages and lakes full of cottages and motor boats.

Agreed - I've taken this route many times and I really enjoy it. I found the route quite by accident once upon a time, coming from the Mag. We found flagging tape at the bottom of the falls and we followed the trail to the creek at the top and proceeded to the hunt cabin before turning around. The following year I came in from Kashegaba to avoid the nasty portage from Deep Bay.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 1:00 pm 

Logged on from my phone and tried to post a photo of a trip route. Guess I need to re-size the pic first.

I’ve posted a couple trip reports in the past - I’ve done WahWashKesh - mag - Noganosh - Island a couple times , using 2 different routes. I posted trip reports.

I’ve also been through Duck, Boundary, Forebear, Wolf, Kelsie, all over Island Lake. Have done many trips in that area over the years.

In the process of downloading your map to Avenza. I’ll check it out, I may have a few contributions to make.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

OK, let's see.... I can add the following:

- portages from Magnetawan to Portage Lake - Sunny - Noganosh
- Route from Magnetawan (Trout Lake) straight into Duck
- From Duck Lake you can get straight into Dutton. There is sort of a swampy area between the two; if the water levels are low that might be a nasty slogg, but I hit it just right one year. Faint remnants of old portages through there, marked by very old cairns.
- There is another way from Duck-Forebear that hops through the ponds in the area. Its actually not bad, although there are no recognizable portages left.

A couple years ago I did a from WahWashKesh to mag via Kashegaba; we stayed 2 nights on Mag at the west end of Trout lake (one of those adventure races came through on the Saturday; something like 100 canoes went by), then we continued along to Duck Lake and stayed 2 night there, then over to Island via bounadary and back via Farm Creek. We did some exploring one day and looped through forebear to boundary and back to Duck. Had lots of great tracks on the GPS - then accidentally deleted them when I got home as I was attempting to transfer them to the computer. Guess I'll have to go back sometime....

You can get from Island to Rat; I have that portage marked and its in good shape. Actually, all you need is to find a portage over to Otter or Council and you've got the rest mapped out up to the Pickerel River. I have a map that shows a portage between Fox and Clear... I would bet that something exists (or once existed) between Rabbit and Fox. Would be a quicker route to go Island-Kelsie-Rabbit-Fox-Irwin-Bass-Arthur - to the Pickerel.

Pine Martin posted a trip report of the route from Island Lake into Loon Lake.

I think that's about all I can add for now..... I'll keep looking at it.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm 

Nice update!

Still missing a few campsites on Clear, Long Lake and the Mag. I'll send you some annotations this weekend.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 7:39 pm 

Appreciate it newbman.

Andrew, this info and the info in your email are invaluable. You're covering almost all of my top missing pieces.
Thank you so much! I'll reply to your email for some bits of clarification.

That would be terrific Brad.

There will definitely be another update to the map before ice-out.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Thank you for the very informative Map.
As a new cottager in the area I know from experience that the Access Point in the bottom right corner of Lake Wahwashkesh is in fact a private boat launch on private property. There is also no where to park you car. It is at the end of Parker Bay Rd.

Im looking forward to exploring the area with this map

Jamie

PostPosted: January 27th, 2018, 8:39 pm 

Thanks Jamie!

You're talking about the one labelled WM, right? Here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/45%C2% ... 80.0304292

In the legend I noted that it's pay parking as I thought you could pay the owners to park in the big lot. Is that not the case? I know there's no free parking there.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 4:54 pm 

Jonathan,
No not that location,
this one
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/45%C2% ... 80.0304292

Its in Parker Bay Narrows at the end of Parker Bay Rd off of hwy520. On your map it show ACCESS POINT? This is not an access point.

Thanks again for your hard work,
Jamie

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 5:33 pm 

Ah great, thanks for confirming Jamie. I'll remove that.