View topic - From Albany River to Kagianagami Lake to Wabakimi?

It is currently January 21st, 2018, 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 4:56 pm 

In studying the contents of volume 4 of the Wabakimi project map set it appears the project has cleared the way from Gowie Bay to Horseshoe, Muskrat, and eventually to Kagianagami lake or alternatively from Abazotikichuan Lake up the Opichuan River and eventually to Kagianagami lake. Is that true? And if either one of those is true can one get south from Kagianagami lake to the Ogoki and on to Whiteclay Lake?

I don’t have the actual maps yet but I am ordering them and have been looking at the coverage map online.

In other words, are the routes to Kagianagami described above a circular route or can one continue south and west from Kagianagami?

Is it possible to paddle west from the Ogoki River over to Whiteclay Lake? I know nothing about the current or conditions of the Ogoki at that location.

To be clear I am contemplating coming west on the Albany River to one of the jumping off places mentioned above.

This would be in early July.

Thanks for any information on all of the above.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 5:05 pm 

I know people have paddled from Kag through Cerulean or Mohamo or both to the Ogoki. I don't know how tough it is. For sure it's possible to paddle upstream on the Ogoki to Whiteclay. There is times when they let a lot of water out of the Waboose dam and that could cause problems. Normally upstream travel should be pretty easy.

The reservoir will be pretty tedious and if there's a brisk west wind you might have to wait it out.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 3:08 pm 

chris.brock is correct in stating
Quote:
There is times when they let a lot of water out of the Waboose dam and that could cause problems.
Upstream travel on the Ogoki River below the Waboose Dam is all but impossible during the annual drawdown of the Ogoki Reservoir in late June and most of July and the river banks are so flooded inland that tracking is not an option.

The attached links to Ontario Power Generation (OPG) websites graphically demonstrate this annual increased flowage on the Ogoki and Little Jackfish Rivers below the Waboose and Summit Dams, respectively:

https://www.opg.com/generating-power/hy ... river.aspx

https://www.opg.com/generating-power/hy ... okiRes.pdf

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 9:15 am 

It seems clear the Ogoki is not the way to go. Maybe a circle trip south through Gowie Bay, Muskrat Lake, etc down to Kagianagami Lake and then north on the Opichuan River and then west on the Cat Tail river and then backtrack to the Atwood River from where one could head to WhiteClay Lake. I will wait till I get volume 4 of the Wabakimi Project maps and more information.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 12:38 pm 

Ipaddle:
You describe a trip down the Albany River getting off at Gowie Bay or Abazotikitchuan Lake and then paddling south via either the Opichuan River to Kagianagami Lake and the Ogoki River or going up the Attwood off Gowie and then into Peninsula Lake and south through Horseshoe etc.

Are you trying to get to Whiteclay in order to work your way back to Armstrong via the Ogoki etc. or did you have something else in mind?
For example you could end your trip going up the Opichuan to Kag. and then through Mahamo and onto the Ogoki River and then onto the Ottertail River and have an outfitter pick you up off the Ogoki Forest Access Road and take you to Nakina where you can catch the Via Train to take you back to Armstrong, if that is your intended destination.

If you want to paddle your way to Whiteclay, the faster way, is to go into Gowie Bay and travel upstream on the Attwood River through Peninsula Lake to Guerin, then Hurst and onto the Witchwood River to Whiteclay Lake taking the Ogoki to Whitewater and then into Armstrong via Caribou and Little Caribou etc.

All of the routes you describe are doable, although I have not personally done the route through Horsehoe and Muskrat in order to get over to the Opichuan and Kag.
Travel up the Ogoki just before and after the Ogoki Access Road Crossing is difficult in Spring conditions.I did it once in early July to clear out the portages from the Ogoki Bridge crossing to Waboose Dam. Paddling the Reservoir is of course easy.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 2:45 pm 

Mac,

Thanks for writing.

The idea of going to Whiteclay Lake would be to exit at the bridge across the Pikitigushi river but not before re-exploring some of those areas, especially, but not limited to, Cliff Lake. So no not back to Whitewater.

The whole plan of paddling south to Kagianagami Lake and then back by way of the Opichuan and Cat Tail rivers would be to explore and sightsee.

Back in 2009, you wrote:

"The route you are proposing to take is about as wild as it it gets. . . .

From Hurst through Felsia, and on up the Witchwood River and Lake to Whiteclay Lake is about as hard assed as it gets. The few portages that go around the non runnable chutes on this section of the Witchwood River are all clear and useable, but there are no portages around the runnable chutes/rapids for upstream travellers.

Out of Felsia going south there are about 14 disturbances on the River that need to be lined or dragged up in addition to the 6 rapids on this section of the river that have portages around them.
Campsites are few and far betweeen."

But that was before the Wabakimi Project went through there. So I am interested to see their maps which I have sent for.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 3:21 pm 

ipaddle, we benefitted from the portage work that Mac and his wife did when we went up the Witchwood River system to Whiteclay back in 2013.

It took us a couple of days and we quite enjoyed the route - a less-travelled one for sure! Check out my post on the Witchwood for some maps and detail. We camped on Felsia Lake, near Grinch Lake, and a few kilometers down Whiteclay after the portage from Witchwood. There is also a nice campsite at the Whiteclay end of the portage.

A Two-Day Paddle Up The Witchwood River System

Maybe you will yet embrace Petawa Creek and join the growing number of trippers who have taken it on!

https://albinger.me

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 3:36 pm 

ipaddle:
That helps to explain your reason for the multiple travel routes.
I thought maybe you were trying to find the best way off the Albany.

A lot of the problems with the route from Hurst to Felsia and up the Witchwood River were fixed up.
So it will not be as bad as it was when I wrote that description.
The comments you quoted were based on a trip down the Witchwood that I did with my wife, a few years prior to the Wabakimi project going through there.
The Wabakimi project went down the Witchwood River clearing and re-establishing portages and I went up the Witchwood later the same year with one of my daughters, picking up stuff they had not been able to do in the spring because of very high water......however that was also several years ago, so the route may not be completely clear at this point.That trip was in August and the water levels were very low then, so we were able to clear out a number of the chutes that had tree falls across them.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 3:41 pm 

Mac,

Thanks for your service and the information.

true_north:

I have read all of your paddling trip reports more than once including the Petawa Creek experience. I thought it might be nice to stay on the Albany a little further plus, so far, I am intrigued by Kagianagami Lake and the Opichuan river. But, as you say, maybe . . .