View topic - Ontario Parks Summer Jobs

It is currently January 17th, 2018, 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 10:34 am 

The job postings for Ontario Parks summer jobs, including the Student - Park Ranger jobs in Algonquin and Killarney (along with every other park) are up today:

https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.as ... bID=116776

If you have a kid who loves canoeing, then this is an awesome way to spend your whole summer in the park and get paid for it.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 7:11 am 

I always wondered where those kids live? Do they put them up at the campground? It does not sound like it from reading the want ad. Even a place like working Algonquin east gate - that's in the middle of nowhere. I guess you are expected to have a car and drive there.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 9:50 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
I always wondered where those kids live? Do they put them up at the campground? It does not sound like it from reading the want ad. Even a place like working Algonquin east gate - that's in the middle of nowhere. I guess you are expected to have a car and drive there.

There are staff accommodations for most of the parks jobs. You still need to get to the park and back but you don't need your own vehicle for daily use. For the interior student ranger jobs like the ones based out of Kiosk there is a camp at the west end of Kiosk with roofed accommodations, kitchen, laundry and washroom/showers for when the crews aren't out on overnight trips. The biggest change from the old Junior Ranger program is that the students now have to buy their own food and do their own cooking. From Kiosk they usually go into Mattawa at least once a week for groceries.

For most of the summer the Kiosk crews work 10 days on 4 days off. You can stay at camp on your days off, but our experience has been that most of the kids do leave on their time off. The first summer my oldest son Scott worked there he stayed at camp on his time off all but a couple of weekends - and one of those I made him go up to Wolf Lake in Temagami with me. :-) On the other hand Peter got spoiled last summer and only spent one weekend off in camp.

I'm not sure where all the staff accommodations are, even in Algonquin. Back when the Visitor Center was where the Art Gallery is now there was staff accommodation in behind there which I expect is still there. For the East Gate I'm pretty sure there are staff accommodations just a bit further east off the south side of the highway, but I could be wrong.