View topic - Wabakimi 2018 - An Invitation to Participate

It is currently April 20th, 2019, 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 2:18 pm 

The Wabakimi Project is a grassroots volunteer initiative founded in 2004 to explore and map the historical and traditional canoe routes of Wabakimi Provincial Park. Since its inception, the scope of this ambitious conservancy effort has been expanded to include the canoe routes that lie on the Crown lands adjacent to the park. They provide vital access to Wabakimi as well as strategic links to road and rail access points and other nearby provincial parks and conservation reserves.

Over the past 14 years, 208 different volunteer trip leaders and participants from North America, New Zealand and Europe have collectively spent a total of 1,179 days on 142 trips exploring and mapping canoe routes in the Wabakimi Area. Together, they've travelled 5,146km (3,198 miles) through this vast, virtually-roadless wilderness area, inventoried 1,001 campsites and rehabilitated 1,020 portages whose measured lengths have totalled 262,935m (287,549 yards or 52,282 rods).

The Wabakimi Project conducts one-week (8-day/7-night) guided, fully-outfitted reconnaissance expeditions from late May to mid-September with a hiatus during July. Applications are welcome from eligible paddlers. Early registration is recommended as bookings are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Discounts are available to 3-person affinity groups that book the same trip and to trip participants who volunteer to be designated drivers to transfer fellow participants and their gear between Thunder Bay and Armstrong Station.

2018 will be the final year of operation of The Wabakimi Project. If a canoe trip to the Wabakimi Area has been on your bucket list, now is the time to act! Don't miss the opportunity to participate in this unique and worthwhile canoe route conservancy effort.

For more information, visit The Wabakimi Project at: http://www.wabakimi.org and the Friends of Wabakimi Facebook page at: http://www.facebook/friendsofwabakimi.

To obtain a copy of this year's prospectus, Wabakimi 2018 - Dates, Rates & Terms, contact The Wabakimi Project at: info@wabakimi.org or send me a PM or e-mail.

Last edited by Voyageur on February 8th, 2018, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2018, 2:29 am 

Of 11 planned one-week trips for 2018, 9 are now fully booked. Only 4 vacancies remain in June.

Last edited by Voyageur on March 23rd, 2018, 7:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2018, 5:57 pm 

Bookings for next summer's volunteer trips are filling up fast! The previous message in this thread is regularly updated to indicate how many vacancies are still available. Don't miss the last chance to participate in what has become the most ambitious canoe route conservancy initiative in North America.

Come to Canoecopia in Madison, WI (March 9-11) to meet organizers, trip leaders and past participants of The Wabakimi Project but don't wait until then to make a reservation . . . you may be too late to secure a placement on this, our final year of operation!

Interested? Contact information is posted in the original message to this post.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 3:21 pm 

The Wabakimi Project website (http://www.wabakimi.org) is back on line after being down for a week. A problem occurred in the transfer to a new server. I believe the guy in charge is named 'Murphy'.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

Is there any appetite to put this information into a google map?

I would be very happy to undertake such a project if provided with the GPS data.

I would also be happy to help manage servers and work the IT side of things (I see you were just down for a week). That's what I do in my day job and have quite a lot of experience keeping systems running.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 1:27 pm 

No mention of costs on the website. I would be up for it, but without knowing the cost, it may not even be worth my time.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 9:56 pm 

Everything is kept pretty hush hush. I think its about $1000+ for the week. No information ever appears to be willingly given out without a cash donation.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 2:04 am 

Registration to join one or more of The Wabakimi Project reconnaissance expeditions is a carefully-crafted 3-step process designed to help interested paddlers to decide whether they wish to participate.

STEP 1 - SUBMISSION OF ‘EXPRESSION OF INTEREST’
Upon receipt of each ‘expression of interest’, a copy of our current prospectus, Wabakimi 2018 - Dates, Rates & Terms is promptly e-mailed to each enquirer. Based on the information provided in the prospectus, the enquirer can reply to indicate which trip(s) s/he is interested in joining. A temporary ‘hold’ is then placed on the trip date(s) indicated while the registration process moves forward. No payment is required at this point nor is any "cash donation" required!

STEP 2 - SUBMISSION OF REGISTRATION FORM
Upon receipt of a request to book one or more available trips, each applicant is e-mailed the link to our on-line Registration Form. Again, no payment is required at this point nor is any "cash donation" required!

STEP 3 - SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION TO PARTICIPATE FORM
Once a completed Registration Form is received and the reservation requested is confirmed, an Application to Participate form is e-mailed to the applicant with payment instructions along with the access code to the password-protected For Participants Only section of the website that is restricted to confirmed participants as it contains information of a personal and confidential nature.

Participation in The Wabakimi Project involves far more than that required to make a hotel, car rental or airline ticket reservation (e.g., valid photo ID, credit card, driver’s licence and/or passport, &c.). For the safety of all involved, it is imperative that each applicant be carefully screened by working through this registration process.

Here's hoping this clarifies concerns expressed on this thread.

‘Uncle’ Phil Cotton
Founder & Lead Organizer
The Wabakimi Project

PostPosted: March 1st, 2018, 10:09 am 

I noticed the website has been down now for the last 2 days. I noticed as I was looking at the map booklets.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 11:12 am 

Only 7 vacancies remaining for June. Don't miss this final chance to participate in our canoe route conservancy effort.

Here's hoping to see many supporters this weekend at Canoecopia in Madison, WI. Drop by our exhibitor's booth to meet me, trip leaders and participants.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm 

Canoecopia in Madison, WI was a huge success! Organizers of the Wabakimi Project and trip leaders met many enthusiastic paddlers interested in our service trips and signed up several new members of our not-for-profit, Friends of Wabakimi organization.

Only 4 vacancies remain in June. If you've ever had the Wabakimi Area on your bucket list, now is the time to act. Don't delay! Contact 'Uncle' Phil to secure your placement. We subscribe to a very strict first-come, first-serve basis.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 7:34 pm 

Of 11 planned one-week trips for 2018, 9 are now fully booked. Only 4 vacancies remain in June.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 6:53 pm 

Only 4 vacancies remain as of this date:

2 for the one-week trip starting Saturday, June 2, 2018
2 for the one-week trip starting Saturday, June 16, 2018

This is the last year of operation of the Wabakimi Project. Don't miss this final opportunity to participate in this wilderness canoe route conservancy effort.

Significant discounts are available to each member of an affinity group of 2 who fill either of these trips. First-come, - first-served!!!

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 6:56 pm 

6 vacancies remain as of this date:

2 for the one-week trip starting Saturday, June 2, 2018
2 for the one-week trip starting Saturday, June 16, 2018
2 for the one-week trip starting Saturday, August 11, 2018 (a recent vacancy due to a last-minute cancellation)

This is the last year of operation of the Wabakimi Project. Don't miss this final opportunity to participate in this wilderness canoe route conservancy effort. Significant discounts are available to an affinity group of 2 who fill any of these trip vacancies. Some 'designated driver' allowances are still available too! First-come, first-served!!!

Contact 'Uncle' Phil to receive a copy of our prospectus, Wabakimi 2018 - Dates, Rates & Terms.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 10:49 am 

I'm looking forward to canoeing with The Wabakimi Project again this year! It will be my eleventh (11) consecutive year; but, there are other participants who have spent even more years dedicated to this volunteer project. I have experienced wonderful canoeing, fishing and camping in the Wabakimi area, while meeting outstanding individuals from Canada, the USA and Europe!

I want to refer you to "Uncle" Phil's (Voyageur) post concerning the remaining vacancies on this year's schedule. These are excellent opportunities for you to experience Wabakimi! My wife and I have been on four reconnaissance trips together, so the remaining double openings would be a good choice for couples, friends, or families who canoe together.