View topic - Jeff's Maps

It is currently September 22nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Jeff's Maps
PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 12:16 am 

Dan M wrote:
...what the hell's all this now from Eric? https://www.facebook.com/jeffsmap/posts ... 0635951611

Man, for anyone who missed out on Jeff'smap while the good man was at the helm, just go ahead and get his new maps - Unlostify (http://www.unlostify.com). Jeff and his pal Deki are making these maps and I just got mine today - and wow, am I ever glad that Jeff is back in the mapmaking business because these are a superior product to even Jeff'smap.

I mean I get it, mental health is a serious issue and he probably deserved some time off, but it's a business he's running and these sound like excuses. And it's what happens when you force out the company's creator who was at the helm for ten years providing superior service.

Cheers

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 8:12 am 

I got that on my FB page as well. I don't know why---another FB mystery! How does FB know I am on CCR looking at Jeff's maps?? Privacy????

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 8:24 am 

wotrock wrote:
I got that on my FB page as well. I don't know why---another FB mystery! How does FB know I am on CCR looking at Jeff's maps?? Privacy????

Eric posted it on the JeffsMap facebook page. If you've liked the page, it would come up on your feed; alternately, content from commercial pages sometimes comes up in the feed of friends of those who've liked the page. If you haven't liked the JeffsMap facebook page, check at the top of the post (where you see it on your home feed) if it says "[friend's name] likes JeffsMap". It likely has nothing to do with myCCR.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 6:29 pm 

Thx for adding the note shown on my first pic and for moving 918 to the right island. It took us 1 tiring aft several years back to discover those inaccuracies. We gave up looking for 918 and camped at quite a nice spot just S-W of 918. The next day we discovered 2 quite nice sites(unmarked on the map)

I was on another trip with Cheryl and the BCKC when we discovered a couple of more dud sites. I don't have detailed notes but I think it was 906 and 917. If you contacted her she prob has detailed info.

I said before, half jokingly, that the park staff decided on where to mark campsites by cruising around and looking for fire pits, but not bothering to go ashore. By now I really believe that is what they did!!

Jeff---Could you pls explain that symbol on my second pic. I read your map legend but I'm still confused.

Attachment:
Unlostify French River Map (First Edition) - Trip Side - Wall Map.jpg
Unlostify French River Map (First Edition) - Trip Side - Wall Map.jpg [ 115.07 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]
dition) - Trip Side - Wall Map.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
Unlostify French River.jpg
Unlostify French River.jpg [ 60.71 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]

PostPosted: April 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm 

Wotrock I assume you mean then red and black squares. They indicate travel time. Each square 15 minutes.

When its split blue and black. Black is portage time.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2018, 12:13 pm 

Hey @wotrock,

Deki here! =) I know Jeff was called, but hope my answer will also suffice, haha.

The little blue and black squares are what we call, Time Blocks.
They're a representation of how long it'd take to travel that particular route.
(Whichever route the group of Time Blocks are pointing at)

As @gnatwest said, each square represents 15min of travel time (A "half block" would be 7.5min).
That would be for the typical/average canoeist, and on our map we show two other options.
Speedy = 12min per block, and Relaxing = 12min per block.

And lastly, the colour of each Time Block just tells you if it's water travel time or portage travel time.

On the Trip side of the map, since lakes are blue and portages are black:
Blue = water travel time, and Black = portage travel time.

On the Plan side of the map, since lakes are grey and portages are black:
Grey = water travel time, and Black = portage travel time.

Just a question @wotrock, did you read the legends on the physical map itself and was still confused? Or was it just after looking at the online map legend we had on the website previously?

I ask purely so that if you were confused even after reading the explanation on the physical map itself, maybe we could try to make things clearer/easier to understand for the next update of the map. =)

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 9:33 pm 

So, looking at the second pic above I get--paddle 15 min, port 22 1/2 min, paddle 1 hr and 22 1/2 min, port 22 1/2 min, paddle 7 1/2 min, port 15 min? Correct?(all times approx., of course.)

I had another look at the legend and now it makes sense to me.,,,

Thx for your help

PostPosted: April 16th, 2018, 9:54 pm 

wotrock wrote:
So, looking at the second pic above I get--paddle 15 min, port 22 1/2 min, paddle 1 hr and 22 1/2 min, port 22 1/2 min, paddle 7 1/2 min, port 15 min? Correct?(all times approx., of course.)

I had another look at the legend and now it makes sense to me.,,,

Thx for your help

Assuming you are single carrying right? If you are double carrying, that last portage becomes 45-ish minutes.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 9:04 pm 

Different Q---on Jeff's Algon map is there an explanation of what type of fish the different symbols mean? I don't see anything in the legend at the left.

thx

PostPosted: April 20th, 2018, 9:39 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Different Q---on Jeff's Algon map is there an explanation of what type of fish the different symbols mean? I don't see anything in the legend at the left.

thx

The fish symbols are in the legend, in the right column of the legend near the top, just under the historical stuff.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 10:04 am 

Thx, Dan. I just have a JPG copy of the map since I rarely go to Algon., but we are hoping to go for fish in early June. Scrolling around the JPG copy is a bit awkward so I guess I missed it.