View topic - Missinabi Solo

It is currently September 25th, 2018, 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Missinabi Solo
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 2:36 pm 

I want to take the Missinabi river alone in mid July. Up the Michipicoten from lake superior to Moosonee.

Background: I've canoed incessantly for the last 6 years. Mostly 3 day canoe trips, the longest portage was about 3000 metres. I've done 5000 m in a weekend of portaging.
I've also done 5000km cycle tour in south america

Planning for a 3 month trip in south america took me a month. But I was completely new to cycletouring and didn't have a single piece of equipment. Now I've got everything I need. (Tent, stove, 16 ft old town royalite canoe).

I'm running into all kinds of trip reports that describe people preparing a whole year to do just the lower missinabi. One the trip reports on this website advises readers the trip won't cost anything less than a 1000$ if I'm not mistaken.

I've got hap wilson's guide to the rapids and will have topographical maps. I plan to eat black beans and rice for 20 + days and replenish my B12 with multivitamins and the occasional fish. I've also ensured that the train from moosonee to cochrane is running and takes canoes.

1) The hardest part of the trip is find a place to park my car in Wawa for the duration of the trip and then securing my canoe in Cochrane when I travel back to Wawa to retrieve my car.
2) Purchasing or making a canoe sail

Any suggestions

Aaron

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand. -Josh Billings

Post subject: Re: Missinabi Solo
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 4:31 pm 

You could leave your vehicle here:

https://www.naturallysuperior.com/

As far as your canoe, if instead on bringing it back to Cochrane on the passenger train you could have it shipped back on the Freight train which I think only runs once a week (and it's slightly cheaper!), they can probably hold it for you at the ONR terminal in Cochrane, you might even be able to have it shipped to North Bay which would make it much easier to retrieve when you drive back from Wawa. (you would have to check with ONR if this is still possible).

I have only paddled the section from Missinaibi Station to Mattice but overall this is not a difficult trip although your version is quite long. Hap Wilson's guide is quite accurate and all the portages are well marked and clear. Only the initial section from Michipicoten to Missinaibi Station is rarely travelled, all the rest has plenty of canoe traffic.

Getting from Cochrane to Wawa to retrieve your vehicle, you would have to take the Ontario Northland bus South to North Bay and then transfer to the westbound bus to Wawa.

A steady diet of beans and rice???? Yeah whatever turns your crank, not what I would do! There are only a couple of portages of any length and given the carrying capacity of a canoe there is little reason to limit yourself so severely.

As far as online reports, keep in mind that for many paddlers the Missinaibi would be their first trip of any length. Some people take weeks or months to prepare for a one week trip to Algonquin!

The biggest cost for this river is arranging the shuttles, getting your vehicle shuttled from Missinaibi Provincial Park (the most popular starting point for the upper section) to Mattice or Cochrane can be quite expensive. For those paddling the lower section from Mattice to Moosonee they generally want to have their vehicle waiting for them in Cochrane which is still likely to cost a few hundred dollars. I haven't paddled the river since the 80's there may be park fees to pay these days which can add up especially for a group.

If you self-shuttle as you plan, not counting park fees the only expenses of substance would be the train and bus fares neither of which are expensive.

Be aware that in low water years the Moose below Moose River Crossing can be VERY low, many people end their trip at the crossing and get the train from there back to Cochrane. Since you intent is the paddle the entire river you will probably want to continue on to Moosonee so be prepared for some walking/ Low water in that area has one advantage, it makes finding camping spots easier.

I know little about adding a sail to a canoe but there is a lot of info online, just Google. You might be better off taking a double blade because there are a lot of sections of slack water and you'll probably find that the prevailing winds won't work well for sailing (although you might get lucky).

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 8:11 pm 

Aaron
My wife and I paddled it last summer, Peterbell to Mattice. http://www.chrismar.com makes a map for the Missinaibi but if you contact them directly they can send you a map marked up with updated campsites not shown on Haps drawings. Its good for planning your days when you know there are other campsite options.

Yah, steady diet of beans and rice? second that recped. You could always arrange for a resupply at Mattice. Owen from Missinaibi Outfitter might help out. http://www.duenorth.net/missinaibi/ We used him for shuttle service to Foleyet. Nice guy, good stories. Otherwise store options there have become limited but I believe they still have an LCBO store.

Yes, there is park fees now. We enjoyed it. Hope you do too.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 8:35 am 

We did Mattice to Moose River Crossing many years ago in 1996.. We never had trouble finding campsites. It was a good short river run..It took six days. We didn't plan ahead maybe more than a week and rice and beans for 20 days? Um no..

We did not continue on the river to Moosonee due to sandstorms the wind kicked up.. Barely any water in the Moose River. You always have the option of exiting and flagging the train at Moose River X ing.

There were park fees back then.. It was five bucks a day so times do change.

I would investigate the possibility of a shuttle of your vehicle.. Its going to be a nasty ride to go all the way to North Bay then back up some eight hours to Wawa.

I would probably forego the sail.. On the Lower Miss there is a lot of maneuvering required. It would be nice for the big lakes. Also we found the wind mostly from the north. Windpaddle is a sail from $160 USD

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 4:42 pm 

Quote:
I would investigate the possibility of a shuttle of your vehicle.

A shuttle from Wawa to Cochrane will be very expensive IF you can even find someone willing. It's a 900km round trip!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 9:41 pm 

Hi Aaron,

I did the trip myself in May of 2016, starting from the mouth of the Michipicoten river on Lake Superior, solo to Mattice. Then from Mattice with my wife to Moose Factory. I have some notes from the trip and remember a good deal of the route. If you want some advice or have any questions I'd be happy to chat before you go.

Also, in 2011 I paddled Pukaskwa and parked my car at Buck's Marina for 2 weeks. The owners told me it is municipal parking, so it's free for as long as you want to leave your car. Best to check in with them to see if that's still the case. The people at Naturally Superior are amazing and full of advice, but they also have a business to run and may charge you for keeping your car there.

Cheers,
Josh
jmtelliott@gmail.com

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 3:52 pm 

You can take a train from Sudbury with your canoe to Town of Missinaibi and leave your car at the train station for free as long as you register it at the ticket both. Then you only have to get back to Sudbury.
It was $50 for canoe and $75/person when I checked in the spring.
VIA White River train.
Hope I'm not too late.
Good Luck and Happy Paddling.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 12:30 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I've just been searching the web for information and I found my post. I didn't receive any automatic emails about your replies so I had thought no one responded.

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement!

I'm busy packing now and hoping to leave Thursday. The Buck marina at the mouth of the Michipicoten will store my care for 20 days for free.

I'll have to find out about water levels at moose crossing there and the Michipicoten before I leave.
One last question I have is about hanging my Hennesey Hammock. WIll the forest permit hanging a hammock as I approach Moosonee? What kind of trees am I going to find up there?

I'm writing this frantically as I'm in a rush to get everything ready.

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand. -Josh Billings

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 1:06 pm 

If you have a tent, maybe bring both. I do trips in the James Bay Region and bring a tent and hammock usually. Some of the shoreline can be mostly gravol and with poor hanging option so a tent is great. Also some of the forest can be rough with uneven ground and a hammock is best. I have a picture of me hanging from a big log on an island on the North French River closer to it's mouth in the Moose....fun!!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 2:00 pm 

Black Spruce.. Its usually spindly.. But some campsites are well trodden ( Thunderhouse) with bigger trees. Its often dicey with a hammock in the North.. Sometimes hanging is so handy and othertimes it just wont work.. But the way is pretty treed ( not like willows on the coast at best)

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 10:05 pm 

Got the maps from http://www.chrismar.com.
Had some delays building the sail for my boat and getting my new Spot X connected to satelite. It appears to be a broken device so I will be leaving without GPS.

MNR says that the water levels are low to extremely low right now because of the lack of rain.
If I have to take out at moose crossing so be it.

Aaron

20180720_193855.jpg

PostPosted: July 21st, 2018, 5:23 am 

Aaron
I hope you have a great trip.
Be safe