View topic - Fox Islands, Georgian Bay

It is currently July 23rd, 2018, 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 8:27 am 

Hi everyone- my crew is headed to the Philip Edward Island part of Georgian Bay later this summer and we're specifically aiming for the Fox Islands.

We've found a lot of great trip reports, but with little detail about specific sites. Can anyone recommend any particular sites on West Fox or surrounding islands?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 9:31 am 

The Foxes are small enough that you can just paddle around and find the campsites. West Fox may have the nicest....depending on who was there before you.
It has been my experience that people are at a loss about how to poop discretely. Could be you'll find toilet paper and brown lumps right beside the tent spots. Or you may be lucky to arrive after someone who knows how to use a spade.
Etches Island, and many of the islands on the way to the Foxes also have stunningly beautiful campsites.

I recommend you travel with a small gardening shovel and rubber gloves.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 9:56 am 

John, as red pine says - the island is a small one and you'll find sites easily just by beaching somewhere , finding the spot you like and then , if necessary, paddling your canoe to the take-out spot. Here is a map of most of the Foxes -

https://albinger.files.wordpress.com/20 ... an-bay.jpg

While there are a half-dozen excellent campsites on West Fox we did notice one we would have picked near the gravel beach on the north west corner of the island.

Martin Island also has a couple of really nice camp spots on the east side of the island. We also found an excellent one of the south end of the island after setting up our camp. We had not paddled around because the wind had started to pick up and we were happy to get off the water.

i love the Big Rock Bay campsite we stayed at - the fabulous view from the top of Big Rock was a bonus! The ony problem you may have is finding an empty campsite! We did our trip in mid-June. Nobody was out there. It is now prime time!

See the second half this post for more detail -

https://albinger.me/2016/06/29/paddling ... -part-one/

Good luck with the weather.

https://albinger.me

PostPosted: July 6th, 2018, 3:33 pm 

Just got back from Philip Edward Island. Probably my 15th trip there so far. As was mentioned above, campsites are easy to find. There are nice sites all down the coast, and while The Foxes are great spots, there are many, many other places along the P.E.I. coast that are just as nice.

One recommendation...I prefer to paddle down the outer coast of Philip Edward and return the same way, rather than paddle around the island, returning via the Collins Inlet. In the summer months the motorboat traffic in the inlet is a bit much, and the camping opportunities are few.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: July 9th, 2018, 12:29 pm 

Thanks, everyone. How big of an issue is finding firewood? I imagine not a ton of forests on these tiny rock islands!