View topic - Fire Ban & Stick Stoves

It is currently December 13th, 2018, 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 8:29 am 

@odyssey...i two have all three cooking methods and im also on the same page as you as in im just staying home for now and watching my lawn die lol. I have the killarney hike coming up in Aug (had to book that in Mar so im not cancelling) but after that i think ill be doing my canoe trips in Sept (unless it starts reaning soon).

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 9:09 am 

many ,many years ago while tripping in the north kawartha park, before the region was deemed a park,, i was going into copper lake. there was a old ontario lands and forest sign up on the portage,, the sign said,,, sit down and enjoy that smoke,, it is illegal to walk and smoke in the forest?
i have never seen a sign like that before any where,,
anyone else notice the sign? or know this law?

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 9:13 am 

swedish pimple wrote:
many ,many years ago while tripping in the north kawartha park, before the region was deemed a park,, i was going into copper lake. there was a old ontario lands and forest sign up on the portage,, the sign said,,, sit down and enjoy that smoke,, it is illegal to walk and smoke in the forest?
i have never seen a sign like that before any where,,
anyone else notice the sign? or know this law?

It's a time tested old woodsmans practice and still good advice. Voyageur smoked on all the Wabakimi Project trips and instilled into us the practice of always being sitting down when lighting up.

The wording in an old manual from the Maine Warden Service about what to do if lost in the woods was first to stop, second, sit and third light up when sitting.

Embers that fall off while you are moving are not noticed. When you are sitting they are noticed and you can extinguish them

I'd venture many forest fires are caused by embers getting where they don't belong.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2018, 10:01 am 

After kicking the cigarette habit 6 years ago, following an Algonquin group trip, I only partake in the occasional pipe smoke now. Those are only while camping. Only while sitting. Either in the boat on a nice sunset paddle or on the thunderbox battling the bugs and odor.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 2:37 pm 

I just got back from area around the town of Spanish. Even out on Lake Huron, it is dry, dry, dry. I've got to tell you, we were even worried about any stove low down to the the ground i.e. Peak 1 Apex (cannister Peak 1 was fine), MSR Dragonfly and Whisperlight. and GAZ with the small canister. The heat from the stove was causing the ground tinder and pine needles to heat up enough to ignite and then die. We solved the problem by cooking on rock, and we found some old composite wood where a cabin had been torn down, cut into pieces and used that under out stoves. Those who had large propane canisters (as much as I hate them for not being refillable), were fine. Even after a day of rain a drizzle middle of last week did nothing to moisten the tinder and soil. Interesting, there was not enough moisture in the are to even help break down last falls leaf drop. Unless they have lots and lots of rain, I will be leaving my stick stove at home. No matter how responsibly I am, I would feel very uneasy about super-heating any of the ground around me.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: July 21st, 2018, 7:14 pm 

Splake wrote:
I suggest you start here and read the legal acts and regulations linked: https://www.ontario.ca/page/outdoor-fire-restrictions

You are correct that there is reference to "lawfully occupies" the land but I am also seeing clear requirements to also be within a specified distance of "permanent structures" on the same land as a mandatory additional requirement. If you are renting a Ranger cabin you might have an argument in your favour but otherwise an interior camping permit is not going to cover you under those regulations.

Thats interesting, they must have made an amendment recently and added that, it use to only state "legally occupy the land" with no reference to a cabin or building.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 6:08 am 

Quote:
sit down and enjoy that smoke,

50 years ago I worked in the bush north of Thunder Bay building Sandbar Park. We could only bring roll-your-own tobacco to the work-site and could not smoke while working. We didn't actually have to sit down though, although that's pretty much what you'd do - sit down, roll a cigarette, then smoke it - it helped to keep the bugs away during your break. It was the employer's rule, not an actual law.

(I did this: :o when my fingers tapped out "50 years ago" and my brain realized it wasn't a typo)

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 5:42 pm 

Krusty,
If I remember correctly they wanted you to use Zig Zag papers because they would go out if you weren't drawing on your smoke. It fit right in with another program I was partaking in at the time.