View topic - Smokey Creek to Noganosh: navigatability?

It is currently December 13th, 2018, 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 9:27 pm 

Spent time at Sinclair Lake a few summers ago. Would like to get into Noganosh this summer.

Here's the rub: my canoe is too small for a big trip with two people. But, my friend and I both have kayaks. Mine can easily haul more than enough supplies for a long time, being a 17' sea kayak.

That kayak would float nicely in Noganosh lake for sure; but, it is not so amenable to portaging.

The entrance to Smokey Creek, N45.88762° W80.22354°, is how we want to traverse into Noganosh.

For those of you who have traveled this route before, is this route into Noganosh going to be easy or even possible with a sea-kayak? We don't mind a bit of work; and, obviously I need to buy a bigger canoe to address this sort of problem. Of course, we could rent a proper canoe, from Tornado's, for example, for 30$ per day; but we would prefer to spend the money elsewhere. If, say, I could do an hour's hard labour and use the kayak, for a 6 day trip that's a good wage to be paid for the work compared to a canoe rentals' cost.

I did take my kayak into Fishog lake, portaging it from Head lake in a November 2017 solo trip; but, I did not portage it any further. So, it is not impossible to portage but not as easy as a canoe.

I see on the map there is some sort of roadway from N45.88698° W80.22521° to N45.86076° W80.23644°; my friend has a kayak cart that we could use to ferry things along it as another option.

Map of area in question:

I welcome any advice.

Thanks,

MT

PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 6:36 am 

There are three portages along Smokey Creek. Two are simple lift-overs to get past large beaver dams. The third is a rather flat portage,easy to walk, not very long. You won't have a problem carrying a kayak.

I've never seen water too shallow for a canoe above the dams. Kayak shouldn't be any different.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 9:45 pm 

Thanks for the intel. I am sure I will have great time there this summer!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 4:13 am 

Should be fine. I used to portage a big Coleman flat back with a small outboard motor in to there. And that was usually lighter than the cooler lol. The portage is pretty short by most standards. You and your buddy can each grab an end and do the port a couple of times or you can bring the cart. One of the old guides used to keep a lawn tractor and a small trailer parked at the beginning of the portage to help clients shuttle stuff across - so it's pretty flat and wide.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm 

These portages are all relatively easy other than they were really muddy when we were there Aug long last year. One is annoying only because it takes longer to unpack the boat than it does to take the few stops up. I believe it was the middle portage.