View topic - Petawawa Fall Questions

It is currently December 10th, 2018, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Petawawa Fall Questions
PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 8:17 am 

hey there... we are planning a trip down the petawawa from Travers to Mcmanus the weekend after thxgiving (oct 11 -15).. wondering if anyone can let me know what to expect for water levels and water temp? ( we were supposed to go late september but have had to push it out).

I can see the real time water levels in the link below but I really dont know what would represent high, medium and low. If we are going into high water and cold water temps I want to know in advance.

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... ax=&y2Min=

If anyone has feedback on how water levels have been on the Pet this season as well as some reference to what would represent high and low on the MNR chart that would be very helpful.

thx for any help

PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 12:00 pm 

Ran the Travers to McManus section this past Aug @24 cm/s. Although it was low, but passable, I wouldn't do it again below levels of around 40cm/s

PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 2:40 pm 

We ran the Petawawa a few years back on Thanksgiving weekend and water levels were good, they were not crazy(we had a few younger kids with us) a few bump and grinds but fun. I don't remember the exact levels but we risked it, figured we could walk some if needed.
jim

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 3:56 pm 

I think the lowest level I pin balled down the Pet was about 13 m/sec. Definitely a very low level that I would not recommend.

If the Pet is looking low consider the Dumoine - a much better run in low water.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 8:12 am 

On the boatwerks website, flow of 40 cm/s is fine, which is about where flow is now... not sure how reliable this info actually is.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 5:45 pm 

Thx everyone for the feedback its appreciated... one more question: given this is the weekend after thanksgiving i have been notified by the outfitter (supplying the whitewater boats) that hunting season will have just started and they expect a lot of hunters in that area of the park hunting Moose...

sounds a little worrisome... not sure if anyone has any experience in the park during this hunting season? how likely is we will get shot?

thanks

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 11:01 pm 

bschott wrote:
Thx everyone for the feedback its appreciated... one more question: given this is the weekend after thanksgiving i have been notified by the outfitter (supplying the whitewater boats) that hunting season will have just started and they expect a lot of hunters in that area of the park hunting Moose...

sounds a little worrisome... not sure if anyone has any experience in the park during this hunting season? how likely is we will get shot?

thanks

Not normally a concern. Try not to wander off the established canoe routes and marked portages. Wear orange and if you are concerned a safety vest when wandering around.
The bigger concern is hearing the odd gunshot and truck traffic if you are near any of the logging roads.
Logging activity also tends to pick up after Thanksgiving but is not normally a problem on the weekends. You might want to check the A.F.A logging schedule.
From Thanksgiving to when they shut down things for the Winter is a great time to explore the Park, no bugs or people and the nights are great for sleeping.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2018, 6:53 am 

All the hunters I've met in that part of the park were on roads... once the moose is killed there is a problem hauling out the carcass if it is too far from a road and with the rapids on the Petawawa, I don't think motorboats would be used to transport moose quarters there. IIRC hunters are advised to avoid hunting near canoe routes but all the same it's best to wear brightly-colored clothes.

I've read that some of the roads can connect to campsites in the Whitson lake area, so hunters might camp there overnight.

PS... moose in rut can be aggressive at that time of year so if you see one not moving off, it's best to keep your distance. You might hear them calling out as well, so don't get too close although all the moose in APP that were making themselves visible during the rut (maybe a half dozen) were not aggressive and just stood there.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 5:43 pm 

for the river levels this thread has been very helpful.. and as I understand it if its above 20 we should be ok to get down without too much hassle...

but i just need to confirm should I be looking at the green line or the orange line in this graph:

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... ax=&y2Min=

thx for all of the help!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2018, 5:51 pm 

Orange is Discharge/Flow with the scale on the right

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 8:37 pm 

I was on the river last weekend. Levels are good for this time of year, you should be fine. As for temperature, expect it to be COLD!

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 9:28 am 

I did this run in November a bunch of years ago. My $.02 CDN is that the valley the Pet runs through is sheltered and keeps the elements at bay. Water levels were great at that time of year and it was a magical trip. Even though most of the leaves around the river had fallen off, it was still darn pretty in the valley. I wouldn't hold back on doing this trip late into the fall.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 6:08 pm 

thx everyone for the comments... we just got back last night from 4 nights Travers to McManus. fantastic trip!

water levels were great and quite a bit higher than i was expecting. I had forgotten how much good whitewater there is on this river!

the temp was cold but definitely manageable and the water was still fairly warm which was nice since we collectively dumped a few times.

such a beautiful river esp in the fall. we had a blast and I would certainly recommend a fall trip to anyone. only wishing we had the time to have started at Cedar.

would recommend the campsite at the "last takeout" @ crooked chute (we stayed two nights) as well as the second site just beyond the Natch rapids (we just stopped there but it was a great view).

happy camping

PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 7:16 am 

We must have been right behind you...............did you leave the rentals at the takeout? We originally were going to paddle the Ash in northern Quebec, but water levels were crazy high, so we went to plan B to do the upper and lower Magnetewan , but that was over a foot higher than spring............. :( so we went with plan C and did the Pet from Sunday to Wednesday. Water was medium to low and lots of fun and we stayed at the Natch our last night.Lots of wildlife spotting.......bear, bald eagle, weasel, and deer mice :D . Did not see anyone on the river
jim