View topic - Invasive Plant ?

It is currently October 24th, 2018, 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Invasive Plant ?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2018, 1:09 pm 

Attachment:
AquaticPlant.png
AquaticPlant.png [ 735.69 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]
I've been trying to identify this aquatic plant which seems to be taking hold of the bogs all through Simcoe, Muskoka, Parry Sound and beyond. It's vines are strong, and often cross narrow waterways making them difficult to navigate through. Anyone know what this plant is?

Post subject: Re: Invasive Plant ?
PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 11:46 am 

Looks like red-stemmed parrot feather Myriophyllum aquaticum... the red-stemmed variety is sold for aquariums, the red stems add some color. Quickie Google shows it's only been reported from Midhurst and then eradicated, but the red stems aren't mentioned in the link below. This should be reported after a more certain ID since in spite of the eradication, it may have spread further, or maybe somebody dumped aquarium water into the area, letting it get established again.

http://www.invadingspecies.com/parrot-feather/

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 6:05 am 

Try the iNaturalist app! It tells me it is either swamp loosestrife or fireweed. Both native. iNaturalist is not always correct but then other people chime in and agree or disagree with the ID. There is also a web based version.

inaturalist.ca

PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 6:22 pm 

redstart mouser wrote:
Try the iNaturalist app! It tells me it is either swamp loosestrife or fireweed. Both native. iNaturalist is not always correct but then other people chime in and agree or disagree with the ID. There is also a web based version.

inaturalist.ca

Looks like you are correct.
I was informed by someone this evening from QEII Provincial park that it is swamp loosetrife.

Funny when I searched it previously, none of the images I came up with looked even similar, but when I looked it up again tonight there it was!

It seems to be expanding across many of the waterways I paddle through, almost taking over.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2018, 8:28 am 

My theory (don't know for certain) is that the swamp loosestrife is tolerant of both low water and high water, like it's invasive relative. So in a dry year, like we had for a good chunk of the summer here in Muskoka, it does well. Last year was very very soggy, it does well, i.e. compared to other aquatic plants. Maybe we need a season of "just right" and the other wetland plants will outcompete it a little!

I think iNaturalist is such a great app! Because of it I have become a "frog noticer," a "mushroom noticer," a "tree noticer", etc etc!! I do wish that more people would chime in on my submitted lichen observations though!