View topic - 2018 Agawa Canyon Fall teaser

It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm 

Well a different type of trip this year :D
We took Sue & Jim Waddington down the Agawa to view the numerous group of Seven locations.
I will try to let them post their story first 8)
From left to right is Sue W. Sandi L. who agreed to this adventure and was recommended by Naturally Superior Adventures when some other participants had some problems, Jim W and the grizzly adams look alike is me :roll:

View from one of the short periods of nice weather

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 11:28 am 

I love Agawa canyon, did a 4 day trip there in early May this past spring. Might be planning the same trip again next April or May when water levels are nice and high.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 2:18 pm 

Jim and Sue here.
First some context. Sue and I have paddled together for 60 years. ie we are old guys. We are enjoying getting old and still like tripping. In those 60 years we have never done moving water (except the almost-not-moving water of small creeks, the Grand river and the St Lawrence).
Most of our trips over the past 40 years have been just the two of us trying to locate and photograph the places that the inspired the Group of Seven. This has been great fun.
Some years ago Jeff offered to take us down the Agawa River and to show us the many G7 sites that he had found and photographed. We were excited about seeing the places but told him that we were too old to start whitewater.
Now I have always maintained that it is really fun to see an expert do their thing. It almost doesn't matter what the thing is. It turns out that Jeff knows this river really well-he has paddled it almost every year for the past 35 years. It also turns out that Jeff competed successfully in international paddling competitions. And he is very persuasive, a great guy and an EXPERT.

So it turns out that Sue and I are no longer too old. We had a chance to see this beautiful river and see the expert, Jeff, do his thing.
It was fantastic. Jeff took extra special care of us. He showed us lots of fantastic G7 sites and introduced Sandi to the thrill of locating the artists' painting rock and sitting on it. He paddled as if he was doing a beautiful dance. He also proved that we weren't too old to do our first (and probably last) WW trip. What a great guide (and pizza maker) !
Thank you Jeff and his wife Anne. (she had one of the biggest adventures and she wasn't on the river.)
Thanks Jeff. Now you can do your trip report.
Jim

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 9:28 am 

Well I am totally surprised that the week we took the Sue & Jim Waddington down the Agawa ended up being the best week weather wise and water level wise since the first week of Sept. (and weather wise our week wasn't great either!) Yesterday up there they were experiencing huge flood flows. I estimate that when we started the water flow was around 27 cubic metres per second (cms.) and when we finished about 40 cms, flood stage for the river is around 80cms and yesterday it was 520 cms and still rising. So we were truly lucky and blessed on our trip.
This pic from Sue and JIm's pics as we ran ran the gear down one of the bigger rapids https://photos.app.goo.gl/13mRajU1ou3wuCo99

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

Last edited by jedi jeffi on October 12th, 2018, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 10:31 am 

jedi jeffi wrote:
Well I am totally surprised that the week we took the Sue & Jim Waddington down the Agawa ended up being the best week weather wise and water level wise since the first week of Sept. (and weather wise our week wasn't great either!)

Jeff

I wasn't surprized that it was the best week. You did everything right.