View topic - Am I The Only One Who Didn't Trip??

It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 4th, 2018, 7:45 am 

I'm reading thru the trip reports and feeling envious. Other than a hike thru Killarney I didn't get out at all. I had trips planned, maps printed, food dehydrated and holidays booked, but alas the canoe never came out of dry storage.

Am I the only one who got turned off because of the ongoing fires and/or fire bans?? it seems like most people got on with their summer regardless of the conditions and good for everyone who did.

For me; a soloist, (well maybe not a true soloist because my dog comes with me) the two things that make my/our trips great are weather and food. In the heat of last summer I know Wilson would not have had ANY fun (he hates the heat). And as for food, I really heavily on fire. I can cook "gourmet" meals over a fire. However; when using my Pocket Rocket, (aka bunsen burner) I struggle.

Now that winter is almost upon us I regret not getting out

"O well there's always next year". That saying isn't helping :( LOL

PostPosted: November 4th, 2018, 8:07 am 

I normally like to take off for a small solo trip or two during the summer and yes I regret not doing them this summer.

I did however make a extra canoe trip this fall and I felt like it kind of evened everything out.

I am however still keeping my eye on the weather and may disappear into the woods again if I can swing it and mother nature lets up a bit. I won't put everything right away until I'm well past the cold limit on my gear.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2018, 4:24 pm 

This year threatened to be the second year in a row that I was skunked out of a canoe trip, but I managed to salvage the season in the first week of October. For me it wasn't about fire or heat, it was about money and life changes / potentially having to move that kept me from planning anything.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 1:08 pm 

My sympathies...lol
I have been out 7x thus far and am not done yet. First time during a fire ban though for two of those trips, that was different, but added a whole new level to stargazing. Have another 3-4 days planned last week of Nov. Then away goes the canoe and out come the snowshoes for some winter camping and ice fishing.

Lots of time to still get out, don't give up yet!

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 2:55 pm 

I've been finding it harder to get trips scheduled in the last few years. A big part of that has been later ice out dates that have kept the lakes frozen when we would normally do our spring fishing trip. That used to be me one guaranteed trip every year. With kids in university or working now, the window of opportunity for that trip is a lot narrower and less flexible than it used to be.

My wife and I did have a really big trip this summer, and I squeezed in a long weekend at the end of summer by combining the shuttle run to pick up my youngest from his summer working as a Student Ranger out of Kiosk with a 3 day trip into Cauchon. On the other hand, last year all I managed was an overnight in peak blackfly season into Pen with my oldest son after spending the Friday at the cottage getting some electrical work finished.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 2:57 pm 

When fire seasons as bad as this one was you just have to adjust and sometimes change your plans completely.
The MNR just last week finally declared North Bay 72 (the one that effected Tamagami) as out.
Parry Sound 33 is reported to still have hot spots
And if this is the possible new norm because of climate change then trippers are ging to have to adjust and not have campfires.
What would concern and affect me more is the increasing number of lakes and toxic algea.
I can live without a fire and have done so on a few trips.
Before I started doing mostly solo, booking holidays and having people back out at the last minute was the biggest reason I lost out on trips.
Plan solo and just go, invite others and if they come great!
Because you just never know.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 7:13 pm 

August used to be considered premium season for canoe travel in central Ontario, but it doesn't mean it still is. Since one can't be optimistic of the weather (our world being what it is), changes have to be applied to one's perceptions of reality. If heat and fire bans are your nemesis you might consider shifting your travel season towards June and September or even May and October, if you can afford such flexibility. Or moving travels further north. Paddling solo allows for many things.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2018, 7:04 am 

I do agree that flexibility is the key with our changing climate and getting out on canoe trips. I hate to say it but I believe the events of last summer may become the new "norm" with our summers (lets pray its not though).

Over the past few years we've noticed that weather is extremely more volatile. Storms, winds, rains and so on seem increasingly more violent. Maybe thats why I've seem to have gravitated to hiking more then canoe camping.

@eddy...your 100% right with moving dates. When I was younger I would go whenever to wherever. Now I look for Aug and Sept trips. Bugs are "normally" dying off in Aug and the crowds are dying off on Sept. I've been re-thinking winter camping, something I did long ago. But, as I got older I realized it's freak'n COLD out and stopped going.

@jeff...your right about the fires. I need to get over the fact that I can't have a fire. However, I have always associated fires with camping, so it'll be a hard nut to crack. Thxs for your Agawa trip report(s), we did the Superior Coastal Trail last year so it was a bit of a flash back of good times in that area.

@Cap...with all those trips where's the trip reports?? I need something to read lol