Advertising

View topic - October weekend trip - Kawarthas

It is currently June 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: October weekend trip - Kawarthas
PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 9:59 pm 

Posted at: http://www.kaydi.ca

October 2 – 3, 2010

No one in our group of four had been to Kawartha Provincial Park before so we felt lucky to sneak in before it becomes an operational park in May.

We arrived at Long Lake Lodge just south of Apsley around 9:30 a.m. We rented two canoes from the two brothers who run the place (or that was the impression I got). One of them definitely wasn’t too pleased with the operating park status coming in May saying he thought it would be bad for the land (although good for business, I'd imagine).

We set off under a blue sky on Long Lake and the 2.5 km paddle to the portage into Buzzard Lake went by quickly. There’s few cottages on Long Lake, though many of them are boat-in sites only and have a nice rustic look to them. We also passed a few campsites as well. The portage to Buzzard Lake has got to be the most developed I’ve ever walked on. At a fork in the trail, which has more in common with a dirt road, there was a large (three feet long) wooden sign directing us which way to go.

Continuing, we went south on Buzzard Lake, passed a few nice looking campsites, a couple boat in cottages and were soon at the portage into Vixen Lake. The portage is either 100 or 400 metres, depending on how high the water is. We had no problem going through the swampy bits and lily pads after the 100 metre.

We made camp on site 440 on Vixen Lake, an island site soon after the portage. With leisurely paddling and breaks for snacks, it took us about three hours to get there. The day was warm in the sun but under the shade of the pines at the campsite it was getting a little chilly and we all bundled up, long johns for everyone! As it’s a non-operating park I was surprised that the site was outfitted with a picnic table, campfire and even had little blue diamond shaped washroom signs guiding campers the thunder box. (The little signs were excessive.)

Later in the day we paddled to the south end of Vixen Lake to see if we could paddle down the little stream that goes into Shark Lake but the beavers had been too busy and it seemed like a smelly soaker in fermenting plant matter would be inevitable if attempted so we nixed that plan.

One thing we did notice was how many large, alive trees had fallen over recently and had pulled up all the thin earth around them with their roots, exposing the rock beneath. Maybe there was a crazy storm a few weeks ago? Either way, I eyed the trees suspiciously upon our return to our campsite.

We had a beautiful sunset and it was reflected wonderfully on the calm water. The stars shone brightly all night and in the morning there was mist rising off the lake.

The paddle back took us two and a half hours with a bit of a headwind the whole way on Long Lake.

We’ll definitely be back and it will be interesting to see the changes that it’s “operational” status brings next year.

Post subject: Re: October weekend trip - Kawarthas
PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 11:06 pm 

Beautiful sunset pic!

Your report make me miss early fall... :D
Thanks for sharing!

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

Post subject: Re: October weekend trip - Kawarthas
PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 9:44 pm 

Hello KDP: Nice pictures. I really enjoy the fall colors.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908