Advertising

View topic - Quick 4 Day Chiniguchi Trip

It is currently June 25th, 2017, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick 4 Day Chiniguchi Trip
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 8:03 pm 

So this is my first trip report so here it goes!

We started off our 4 day trip to Chiniguchi on July 29th at the Matamagasi Lake access point. I had to work part of the morning so after making the drive up to Sudbury, it was late in the day before we got to launch.

After only about an hour of paddling the head wind picked up and since this was Ms. Newcru's first paddling trip since having shoulder surgery in Dec. we decided that the wind was too much and we will make camp and head out early in the morning.

The wind evetually calmed down in the evening and it became a beautiful night. That night we sat back over a fire to watch the stars, including the brightest shooing star we have ever seen.

Day 2: We were up and on the water by 6:30. Since it was the long weekend, we wanted to beat the crowds. The water was very calm and we made great time.

After completing the first portage (350m) we were into the next lake. It was really the size of a pond and I don't think it had a name. But the water was crystal clear blue, you could see straight to the bottom which seemed to be about 20 feet down.
On to the next portage another 350m, but a lot more steep and rocky. Several parts of the trail came uncomfortabley close to the edge of a staight drop off.
The portage is along the rght side of a cascading waterfall.. just gorgeous.
We finished the second portage and got into slyvester lake. Once again crystal blue waters. We decided to stay at the first campsite we came to right next to a swift L/O that everyone on the route had to pass. (Should have thought that one out a little more lol) We decided to stay at this camp site for the rest of the trip simply because we couldnt resist the scenery and the waters. (Not to mention the paradise lagoon.. for those who know)

Day 3: Took a day trip through Wolf lake, up another swift L/O which Ms. Newcru fell into and almost went down stream on the way back. I helped her out of it and we had a good laugh before i did the same thing.
We continued on and portaged into the next lake, however after searching the lake for the Ranger cabin that we were told was there... we eventually figured out we were on the wrong lake. I guess that is what you get for not bringing the map!

On the way back the nasty head wind picked up again and it was a hard paddle back. We took a break at the portage back into Wolf lake. Ms Newcru decided it was a great time to suntan on the rock in the buff while I took a much needed nap.
After the paddle back (and falling to the swift) It was time for a swim. Even though there was a lot of people passing by our camp we couldn't resit the temptation of what made us stay there in the first place.... a skinny dip in the lake!

Weather Band is calling for severe thunderstorms tonight. After moving our tent and preparing what we could. The storm seemed to pass over us completely. We could see lightning all around us but above us was a clear star-full night.

Day 4: heading home reluctantly. After sleeping in a little bit we packed up camp and headed back. We didnt get time to head back to the private lagoon for one last look. But we did get an chance for one last skinny dip. Almost getting caught by several paddlers..

After doubling back on the same portages as Day 2. we were back into the Chiniguchi River. We stopped briefly to talk with a few paddlers coming into the lakes we just left.

As soon as we left the portage... back into the head wind. (Yes we were almost wind bound again on the same lake as day 1. The wind just wanted to work against us... (Remind me to write a strong worded letter to the wind)

2 pm. We get back to the launch, chat with a great group of guys that had passed us earlier at our campsite. Talked about different routes, and they even recommended this site to us. (Thank you very much guys)

We headed back to the closest store for some cold drinks, passing our new launch friends along the way while they retied their canoe, and we stopped shortly after to do the same.

It was a perfect trip and we plan to head back there before the end of summer to do it all again. I highly recommend this trip as a weekend trip.