View topic - Severn River Conservation Reserve Trip Video

It is currently January 17th, 2018, 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 3:47 am 

Did this trip a few weeks ago in August. We parked at the Nine Mile Lake Marina and paddled down the Upper portion of the Gibson River into Woodland Lake and then Brotherson's lake where we camped for the night. We returned via easy portages to Turtle Lake and back to Nine Mile Lake. The Upper Gibson is very shallow and narrow in parts with rougher portages than the rest of the route. The unexpected rain seemed to keep away everyone and we didn't see any canoeists just cottagers on Nine Mile. I think we only had about 3 hours of sunshine the entire trip! Still was pretty cool. Turtle lake looked really cool and probably has good fishing, had a heavy downpour and just wanted to get to the car at that point so we didn't stick around,.

Cheers - Brad

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 7:04 am 

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Cousin Pete

"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 12:04 pm 

I've paddled the upper section of this river as well. We really enjoyed it. Once you through the two finger lakes we at least had some runnable rapids, and one Hairy portage around high falls. I think would be a great two/three day trip if you were paddling from Nine mile and ending a Gibson lake. Heck you could do it in two easy days, but three for some fishing, and lounging. If your looking for a nice long-weekend paddle this is it. I find it hard to believe your in the middle of cottage country. I think that's why I like it so much.. Thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2012, 5:29 am 

Great report. I spend alot of time in the Turttle and Woodland lakes in the winter. Woodland is susposed to have Brown Trout. I'll be in there this season after the bugs die down. It is a great area and you never see anyone.

RR

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 1:01 pm 

Hi ,
Great video! thanks for sharing!
Is camping free in that area?
Does anyone have a map with campsites?
I would love to do a canoe trip this month in Severn River Conservation Reserve
thanks
Eugene

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 10:51 am 

Woodland Lake was stocked with splake years ago (70's I think)
We have caught them both in Woodland and Brotherson's lakes

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 12:29 pm 

Nice vid Brad. Besides the solitude, another great thing about wet overcast days is that they make for nice video and stills.... even lighting vs the harsh highs and lows of a sunny day.
Those misty lake shots are great.

Jason

Think for yourself. Always question authority.  /  Timothy Leary 

To be great is to go on,  to go on is to be far,  and to be far is to return.  /  Kirk Wipper

PostPosted: January 4th, 2013, 7:11 pm 

Nice video, Brad.

I'm a bit surprised you came down the Gibson in Aug. We were in there a few years back when a group came down the river. I think D. Burgess was part of that group. IIRC they took more than a day to reach Woodland and had countless beaver dams.
Speaking of which, I found your comment re beaver dams puzzling. I think you said they lowered the water levels? Beaver dams raise they water levels. I know it's a PITA to be lifting over them but w/o them the water level would be lower so it would be worse.

Jekis,
Prod us again in the spring and I will post a fairly crude map if Brad hasn't posted his slick one.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm 

Hmm this was a while ago now, but I believe I was referring to how beaver dams upriver had backed up water and as a result there was less water below the dams, so that portion below the beaver dams was a bit of a low water slog. River was a slight trickle and it was mostly mud until the water was backed up again.
We ran into a storm on the portage around the falls and hunkered down there for an hour but still made it to Brotherson's with time to fish. August is definitely a slower time to travel the river though.

Also haven't posted the map yet, but I can do that shortly then!

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2013, 11:13 am 

Yikes...don't tell people about these great areas. it would be nice to keep them secluded!

coonoe