View topic - Pointe Du Bois, George, Forbes, Echo, Winnipeg River trip

It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 9:23 pm 

I have read through these forums many times, and have found great info. A group of friends and I plan on doing the Pointe du Bois, George Lake, Forbes Lake, Echo Lake, and then follow the Winnipeg River back to Pointe Du Bois. I was hoping with the experience on the forum we could get some help.

Seeing the unfortunate accident with a kayaker only weeks back, I am looking for recommendations. I want to make sure I do all I can to make sure all of our crew is as prepared and safe as we can be.

This will be our 4th canoe trip. We started with Caddy lake 3 years ago, then did 2 trips From Tulabi falls up to the Ontario border for the last 2 years. Now looking to try something a little more extreme...

Can anyone point me to info towards finding the Portages, and rapids/dangers to watch out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 12:53 am 

Are you using the Whiteshell backcountry map for reference?

I haven't paddled in the area and I hope someone who has explored the area will chime in. In case they don't: George Lake and the Winnipeg River have motorboat traffic. Like on Caddy, stay close to shore. When campsites are boat accessible, they can be busy so don't camp late (push on late in the day for the next site) as your site may be occupied.

Are you launching at 8 Foot Falls or at Pointe?

PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 9:02 pm 

Hi

Ya I think that map is the only reference u can find...

Ya we plan to launch at end at the falls. Do you think this trip is doable in 3 days?

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 8:55 am 

That's hard to say, everyone trips at very different speeds. The long portages will really slow you down if you're not packed efficiently. If you're okay with doing the portages twice, you can always see how your progress is, then turn around if you're moving too slowly to complete the loop.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Weather can affect travel time on this route, I would plan 4 days. Portages are well used but somewhat long, if your running heavy these will slow you down if you have to double carry. I prefer the Big Whiteshell access with only 2 portages. Once you exit echo into eaglenest expect big water with heavy current in many areas. Wind is a another variable, you will have to cross a few big bays and the way eaglenest is situated it tends to funnel the prevailing northwind down it's lenght. Expect heavy chop and wind delays. Once you head West at Pine Island, the river narrows but has strong current. This is a very nice stretch, many island to navigate around. Lamprey Rapids is a must stop campsite before the final push to Point Du Bois.

Hope this helps :D

PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 10:30 pm 

Thank you! I will be watching for those things. Any advice on where to park vehicles at Pointe Du Bois? Or Departure, and Landing spots? Doesn't look like I can find any information online...

Thanks again for all your help. 4 days until we depart. I trust your help will make this trip all the more amazing.