View topic - The Maskwa River

It is currently October 24th, 2018, 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Maskwa River
PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 10:01 am 

OK, the river isn't really winning me over for either the rapids or family camping. But knowing there's at least somewhere nice to camp at "#4", and since I go there anyway with Beavers, at some point I'll at least head up for an overnight to poke around, just because.

Grew up in Winnipeg (Camp Stephens etc.) for 27 years, went to Vancouver for more university, then after 21 years of Vancouver life, came back to Winnipeg last summer: cost of living, rat race, family, young kids & old parents, cottage, etc. Vancouver was great as single, underemployed guy back in the day. Loved the ww canoeing, the backcountry skiing, biking, hiking, hotsprings, the beach volleyball. There's lots I miss, but it wasn't so great once I became super busy with kids - wasn't really using the mountains as much. And it's expensive and it's busy: can't go to the beach on a sunny day, can't go skiing on a snowy day. So all that was starting to bug us. And of course we couldn't afford a 3 bdr house in Van ($2 million, min), so there's that! So here we are, in a house with some space and near grandparents, working less, and back canoeing and cross-country skiing on this old landscape. It's an easy place to come back to.

P.