Advertising

View topic - Bloodvein again

It is currently October 24th, 2014, 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2005, 8:18 am 

Just back from the Bloodvein, we flew in to Murdock L from Red Lake and had Al at Goldseekers shuttle the vehicle to Matheson. Very high water conditions though level is starting to drop now. Some portages & campsites were flooded. The route description for classing the rapids was thrown out the window. Some rapids are the same, some CIs are now a CIII, one CV is a CII and runnable. Boils continue downriver from the rapids 3-500 meters in places. We had a lot of wind during the trip.
Ran into Gail R and party near the end and shared the ferry ride across Lake Winnipeg with them also. They were a great group. It was like running into old friends you haven't seen in 5 years and we had to catch up on each others lives.
Also on July 23 we passed a party (6 guys from MN?) on Kautunigan Lake that flew out later that afternoon on a Chimo Air Otter. Was that you Huck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2005, 11:37 am 

oops double

Last edited by Gail R on August 1st, 2005, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2005, 11:39 am 

Hi Wolverine,

When you get back from the Broadback I'll pass along my impressions (I'm sure Dan will fill in some stuff as well, we didn't tire him out too much I trust) over a pint I trust you'll have lots to tell me as well :D ...very nice trip. Harts has a couple nice shots of the crew playing/running Chapps..woohoo stuff. We landed on Artery on the 17th and started the river on the 18th...we were out at Bloodvein Wednesday morning (10th day) at 11am...we didn't travel hard...many days we were off by 3pm...given your tripping style and light weight approach I'd say it would be very possible for you to shave off a day or two....
Gord...it was a shear pleasure to run into your crew and share your stories...I'll have to take up carving.....Thanks for the lift back to Biscuit harbour...pass along my howdys to John and Raymond (Don is busy drinking sceetch and kissing cod fish by now) If you ever want to do a weekend at Palmers give us a shout...I'll pass along your email contact to Paula and the crew....
Huck...we were the crew with the two kids...3 starbursts and a Legend..I think we passed you but I wasn't sure it was you camping so we moved on
Let us know how you made out...
Cheers
Gail

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2005, 3:59 pm 

Gail - Check your email. I sent you some pics from the ferry. I'll take you up on that offer about Palmers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2005, 12:31 pm 

Got the pictures..thank you very much....nice to see just how much bow wave we had racing to the ferry....I love the old girl but the Legend just can't compare to the Starbursts fo tripping....
I'll forward the pics on to the crew
you name the date and we'll be there...doesn't have to be Palmers (gotta wait for the water to come back, too bad they can't import it from Manitoba :D )...
Cheers
Gail

Post subject: Bloodvein in late August?
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 8:01 pm 

We just came off of the Bloodvein on Wednesday (August 24th) and the water levels from the Manitoba border to its mouth at BV village are still very high for so late in the summer. Interestingly, the water levels from the river headwaters at Knox Lake to Artery Lake are not so dratically high. As a result many of the rapids are not at their usual categories and must be run as you see them. We'll post more details on our trip later.