View topic - Bloodvein trip, some pics for u guys

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 9:54 am 

HI everyone, great site.

we are set to paddle the Bloodvein on august 18. I was wondering how long does it take to paddle from artery to bloodvein village? I was planning on 10 days plus 2 extra days but some of the guys i know say 7-10 days easy.
Also i was wondering about the landing restrictions in Artery lake and if anyone knows how to get ahold of ontario parks to get a landing permit. From some of the threads i've read, Gail should be able to help me out in this department.
Thanks everyone, i'll post a trip report and some pics.

Mike@NorthWinds :)

Last edited by mike@NorthWinds on September 1st, 2008, 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 1:08 pm 

I did the Bloodvein last year with Dave at Northern Soul. He regularly runs trips on this river. He is a really friendly helpful guy so no doubt will be able to offer plenty of advice.

www.forestknights.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 6:33 pm 

Been a few years since I did the Bloodvein, but I'd say it's a 10-12 day trip. I suppose 7 days is possible if all you want to do is paddle and sleep.

Can't help with the air transport. I also did this trip with an outfitter (Wilderness Spirit out of Winnipeg) and they made all the logistic arrangements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2008, 10:49 am 

sorry meant Claire (not Gail) at ontario parks, she posted a number to get the necessary permits for access to WCPP.

Please be advised that park fees apply when landing on Artery Lake. Artery Lake is located in Woodland Caribou Prov. Park in Ontario where permits are required. Visitors must obtain either a day-use permit if simply visiting for the day and heading downstream right away. - or an interior camping permit for those who wish to spend their first night on Artery.

Be aware that air carriers also need Aircraft Landing Authorities and Day-Use permits to do business in the park. They are all aware of these regualions. Not all of those mentioned on this thread chose to obtain their permit and authority.

Artery Lake remains an ideal start point as visitors have an opportunity to view the infamous pictograph site, a large mural depicting many sacred images - located a few minutes upstream on the Bloodvein. These are remarkable and very significant.

For information on park permits and on any other routes offered in Woodland Caribou Prov. Park please e-mail woodland.caribou@mnr.gov.on.ca or phone (807) 727-1329. This will put you in contact with the park staff in Red Lake.

Post subject: bloodvein
PostPosted: August 5th, 2008, 9:13 am 

you could use wamair out of matheson island, used them 2 years ago when i did the bloodvein from sasaginnigak lake to lake wpg that was a 4 day paddle, looking forward to seeing some pictures ,enjoy your trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 11:58 pm 

hi everyone,
well, got the landing permit in order. My uncle is flying us in. Bluewater aviation had warned him that artery is heavily patrolled for non permit holders. Just 4 more days to get prepared, going to vegas for the weekend then flying back to wpg early monday morning then flying out to artery that afternoon. we'll be spending our 1st night on artery

i wonder if anyone has some campsite recomendations they would like to pass along, or sites that shouled be checked out. i've never been on the bloodvein, any tips or recomendations would be greatly appreciated, thk.s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2008, 12:26 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

This thread jogged a memory....

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... ght=wamair

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 11:15 am 

I talked with William at Wam Air in Pine Dock (formerly of Matheson Island) and he said they are no longer carrying canoeists. This conversation was back in July. Really surprised me but he said they are staying busy without paddlers.

Mark

PostPosted: September 1st, 2008, 8:45 pm 

here's some pics of our recent trip on the bloodvein. we flew into artery lake, it took us 12 days to complete. the weather was terrible, lots of rain and south west winds really slowed us down.

probably the easiest portage of the whole trip,the roller portage.

A huge storm blew in just as we approached Bushie lake, we were forced to camp right on the portage trail, a tree fell over within 10 feet of our tent, lightning struck nearby and scared the crap out of us.

My son with full protection from the elements, including those persistent mosquitoes.

1 of many beautiful camp sites

"Red Rock Cafe" awesome camp site

One of many, many portage trails

There's a reason no one paddle across lake wpg, the swells were huge, i'm surprised the ferry ran at all.

the pictographs in artery were incredible

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 12:22 pm 

NIce pics. You had some sun!