View topic - Black River May 2017 - very low water!

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 8:36 am 

Put together a little video of a Black River trip from May. The water was very low so I beat the hell out of my Pocket Canyon on its maiden voyage.

https://youtu.be/ib6bZQ1le1U

Couldn't embed the video, anyone know how?

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 10:35 am 

Really fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm 

Loved it! That is such a pretty river, with all the granite and pine. Great paddling too! And I think if you are not scratching up your hull, you're not trying hard enough!

I'm coveting your Pocket Canyon. (Hmm, that sounds bad...) But seriously, it looks like the perfect cross-over for WW solo and double. How do you like it? Can you explain the outfitting? It looks like you have knee pads in the centre of the boat. It also appears to have harder chines than my SuperNova (which basically has none). Does it carve well?

Finally, how did you manage to catch so many crayfish for that one dinner? Looked yummy.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 6:42 pm 

Looks like a lot of fun! I see you guys were wearing your drysuits most of the time. Probably unbearably warm inside the suits in the shots of paddling in your t-shirts. How bad were the water temps during the swims? I'm guessing pretty bad. Great report! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 10:16 pm 

martin2007 wrote:
Looks like a lot of fun! I see you guys were wearing your drysuits most of the time. Probably unbearably warm inside the suits in the shots of paddling in your t-shirts. How bad were the water temps during the swims? I'm guessing pretty bad. Great report! Thanks for sharing.

My drysuit wasn't bad but it's breathable. My tandem partner had a non-breathable drysuit that he got cheap. That's why he was under the waterfall cooling off! The solo boater wore a farmer john wetsuit and he was fine. We had warm weather and the water really wasn't that cold for early May in Manitoba. Drysuit or wetsuit is still a good idea though when you have to put on the miles. It can be time consuming to dry out unless it's warm enough to keep paddling wet.

We did wade the tandem a lot because of the low water and the drysuits helped with that. But because of the low water we didn't get much splashing in the boat.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 10:41 pm 

swampwalker wrote:
Loved it! That is such a pretty river, with all the granite and pine. Great paddling too! And I think if you are not scratching up your hull, you're not trying hard enough!

I'm coveting your Pocket Canyon. (Hmm, that sounds bad...) But seriously, it looks like the perfect cross-over for WW solo and double. How do you like it? Can you explain the outfitting? It looks like you have knee pads in the centre of the boat. It also appears to have harder chines than my SuperNova (which basically has none). Does it carve well?

Finally, how did you manage to catch so many crayfish for that one dinner? Looked yummy.

So the Pocket Canyon.... I really love that boat. I liked the idea of solo boating but didn't know if I should take the plunge so I sold my Souris River Skeena and bought the Pocket Canyon. The knee pads under the yoke are for a removable kneeling thwart. I also put knee pads for the bow seat facing backward. In the video, when I went over the waterfall sideways I slid from the reverse bow seat knee pads to the kneeling thwart ones. Oops.

I still haven't paddled it solo loaded, which is what the reverse bow seat knee pads are for. The Pocket Canyon is stable, leans well tandem but is too wide for me to solo with ease (I'm 5'7"). It's very similar to the Sunburst but a little wider, possibly less rocker and a little more stable making it a better tandem than the Sunburst but not a better solo. It carves really well tandem but not as much solo since the physics of a short guy trying to lean a wide boat aren't in my favour. It's probably a little more whitewater friendly than the Supernova but not by much. Especially with that nice spray skirt you have!

I ended up buying an Esquif Vertige this summer. I found a really good deal near St Louis but didn't have the time to go buy it. We started out on our big summer trip but due to low water and a sick dog, turned around 2.5 days in and were housebound until our dog was done his meds. So off to St Louis!

I attached a photo of the Pocket Canyon outfitted with gear in it.

Oh, and no need to catch crayfish when you take the right people on your trip!

Attachments:
Pocket Canyon Outfitted 3.JPG
Pocket Canyon Outfitted 3.JPG [ 610.09 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 10:45 pm 

I should mention that the music in the video is by Dan Frechette and his wife Laurel Thomsen. Dan grew up in the land of the Swampwalker, or close to it, in Pinawa.

Last edited by Neil Fitzpatrick on November 24th, 2017, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 2:45 am 

Excellent, thanks for this. I'm making notes!