View topic - Seeking upper Moisie details- rapids, portages

It is currently December 12th, 2018, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 7th, 2014, 5:10 pm 

I was intending a Pekans-Moisie trip, but due to the logistical problems associated with getting from the QNSL in Emeril jct to the Pekans (meaning good luck-I have tried many many options), I am changing up my plan to instead jump train on Ashuanipi and then go lac Bau to either Menistouc or maybe up thru l. Petite Hermine into Menistouc. I have already searched a bit for some of this early portage info, but really would appreciate if someone with rapids and portage detail from Opocopa on down to the r. Pekans could email me a scanned copy of notes, maps or both. Just trying to get that extra information to make this one boat trip as safe as possible. Not sure if anyone has published anything as exquisite as say- Leduc or Kovac maps, for this upper portion of the Moisie.
Please contact me if you have some ideas on where I might obtain this info. Leaving in a couple of weeks either way...and I will try to fill in the blanks on this site, as regards the lac Bau and or Petite Hermine portage depending on which way we end up carrying.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 9:34 am 

The maps from the FQCK detail the route from DeMille - Menistouc - Opocopa including campsites, rapids and portages.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2018, 11:56 am 

Same subject treated in other forum: Moisie River (Ashuanipi Portage)

In the winter of 2018, after exhaustive research on this precise subject (Google Earth, MYCCR, relatives), I came to the same conclusion as CDelBrocco in 2013 on "Moisie River (Ashuanipi Portage)" forum. NorthWest Bay-Du Petit Portage Lake is the best way to cross-over from Ashuapnipi Lake to the Moisie River.
So I planned my once in a lifetime 20 days SOLO expedition from the mythic Oreway Train Station all the way down the Moisie River from july 23th to August 13 2018. You can expect normal North weather including lords of bugs.

The 7:00 am train from Sept-Îles let me at Oreway Station around 3:00 pm on Day 1. I reached the end of NorthWest Bay at 9 am on Day 4 after a 65 Km strech. On the Lake, orientation through the islands was tricky. Make sure to bring a clear 1/50K map and your compass. Plan to be slowed by the wind. I paddle mainly between 6:00 am and 12:00 pm to avoid strongs conter-winds.
Once at the bottom of NorthWest Bay, you face a 1,2 Km portage (over the border) that lead to a very small 3 km long creek that flow toward Du Petit Portage Lake and then 15 Km of small current and flat water the Km 348 campsite of the Moisie River.

Trailhead: N- 52* 36' 44" ; W- 66* 25' 02"
Waypoint: N- 52* 36' 46" ; W- 66* 25' 39"
Creek: N- 52* 36' 43" ; W- 66* 25' 52"
Topographic view on https://inreach.garmin.com/Map is the closest to reality representation.

The portage itself is flat. There is a relatively easy walk along two ponds, then a passage through scarses bush, then tru west all the way to the creek. I search all-over for the best and shorter way to reach the creek in a two half-day quest as I was carrying my equipements and back. Once you discover this good route, it turn-out to be much much easier to progress. I installed many 'red long term marquers ribbons' to facilitate the orientation of the followers. Once on the creek, follow the water , drag and pull ...
In term of timming, considering that the water level was high (about 550 m3/s on the Moisie Scale) when I was up there, you can reasonnably do the portage (a double carry) in about 3 hours and the creek's drag/pull section in 2,5 hours. Once you start the 15 Km the "paddelable" waterways, you can expect to reach the Km 348 campsite on the Moisie in an extra 5 hours that will lead you at south end of Opocopa Lake.

Recommandation:
1) There is no dry campsite at the trailhead;
2) You will probably camp few Kilometers (1 to 4; 6 Km away for me) before making it to the trailhead;
3) Plan to cut your portage/creek/ Opocopa in two days;
4) Although the ground is very wet and mossy (ankle deep) from the first step to the very last, there is a good GD campsite just when you reach the creek; The inland surroundings are very exotic and the nature is original;
5) Overall, this access to the Moisie is not shorter than the De Mille Lake access and it is more physical (portage and wind);
6) You will have plenty of extra-hard portages in the following 12 to 14 days;
7) Choose this access to skip the need for a shuttle from Emeril Train Station to De Mille Lake standard put-in.

My personnel goal in choosing this access was to retrace the ancien Montagnais' portage. I discovered traces of use of this route in the recent winter seasons. It is probably a snowmobile trapping trail. Caribou do use it daily wich maintain a faint trail trace on the mossy ground. At least one nailed spruce branch marker indicated me that humans have been here before in the last 5 years. But I did not follow it further than the small creek.
At the end of the 3 Km creek, I notice the remains of a man made dam (the one that CDelBrocco saw) that confirm the previous use of this route as a "paddleable" access to the Moisie by frequents users some 40-50 years ago. Probably Montagnais reaching there hunting territories and back to Oreway Train Station (open since 1954).

You can have more information, messages, pictures and videos on my FaceBook Expedition Page:
https://www.facebook.com/DraveurModerne/
Scroll back to read all my daily messages and there precise location. InReach is good for that!