View topic - Trip Recommendations/Moisie Question

It is currently December 11th, 2018, 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 12th, 2016, 8:32 pm 

Hey folks,
Starting some very preliminary plans for a trip in summer 2017. Our crew will be primarily former guides/experienced paddlers with a decent number of river trips under our belts. We'll have a total of ~10 days including travel time and most of us are based in Toronto.

Where would you go in Quebec or elsewhere? Looking for a river trip w/reasonable amount of whitewater. Travel isn't limited to driving, flights are an option.

Are there options to do the Moisie in that timeframe? Mistassibi? Pontax was done a few years ago, so not an option.

Thanks for the input!
Jo

PostPosted: May 13th, 2016, 8:17 am 

Mistassibi NE is a great trip.
Gens de Terre
Lievre
Lower Broadback
Esnagami - If you are in to fishing as well as ww, if you go at mid-end of June the whitewater would be pretty decent also.

I think the only one that is a 10 day trip with driving though is the Lower Broadback.

Haven't paddled it, but depending on where you start on the Coulonge it could be 10 days.
Another option is to start high up on the Dumoine, above Lac Dumoine

happy planning
rab

PostPosted: May 16th, 2016, 6:29 pm 

There are no worthwhile options for the Moisie in that time frame. Broadback would be difficult door to door in 10 days

Suggestions in no particular order

Quebec
Lievre
Upper Gatineau
Ashuapmushuan
Mistassibi NE
Dumoine (in med-high water)
Coulonge (not really a lot of runnable ww)
Noire
Batiscan (From Lac-Édouard, first few days are mostly flatwater)

Ontario
Spanish (West Branch)
Pukaskwa (Spring only)

Of those on the list the Mistassibi NE & Pukaskwa are the most "wilderness" of the bunch.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 2:42 pm 

There are a few fly in options to the Moisie that would allow for a short trip but I'd equate this to going to the finest steak house and ordering a salad. Save the Moisie until you can enjoy the entire river.

For your time frame and WW requirements I'd recommend either the lower Broadback (highway to Waskaganish) or the Mistassibi NE. The Broadback is bigger than the Pontax and if my memory is correct has more good WW. The Mistassibi NE has great rapids. We caught it when the water was very high. I think in summer flows the rapids would be less exciting so I'd aim to get here sometime in early June. Both rivers are an equally long haul from TO and would allow for 7 days on the water. For less of a drive and a bit of a shorter trip I'd recommend the Batiscan starting on the Aux Eclairs. You could stretch this to 6 days on the water.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2016, 4:55 pm 

...well, I wouldn't say that Mistassibi NE is the one of the last "most wilderness" rivers - not anymore - too much logging going on over there... :(

...anyways, to stay on topic - while I was planning for our Mistassibi NE trip for this year (well, yeah :) - we want to try a new way to headwaters) - there was another river that has caught my attention - the Upper Mistassibi NW (it is about 60 kilometers long stretch from the new road bridge to an older bridge that is just upstream of Daniel river confluence - well, above 253-rd km.). Basically, since we are driving all the way up-North to Mistassibi NE, then we could try another river as well... :)

...here is a link to my map - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-9D4N ... sp=sharing - it covers the area from DuChef (on the West) to Mistassibi NE (on the East) and I've put most of the new roads over there (I've used 2015 satellite images to trace them).

For Mistassibi NW I've estimated rapid's difficulty by their looks on the satellite images - well, it is not very scientific :)

So, I would really appreciate any additional info about this stretch of Mistassibi NW

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 11:24 pm 

Gene - I like the alt access to Mist NE. Looks easier than the 6 drags from Froget. Probably adds a good day to the trip. NW branch looks like a lot of portages.

Jo - I've also been looking at duChef down thru the Ash.. looks like ~10days of paddling.