View topic - Ottawa river

It is currently October 17th, 2018, 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ottawa river
PostPosted: September 13th, 2016, 1:45 am 

I plan on going down the Ottawa from the head waters, Lac Capimitchigama to about 15 kms after lac Granet. Does anybody have any intel or past experience in these parts.

Post subject: Re: Ottawa river
PostPosted: September 13th, 2016, 4:57 am 

I did that route in 1993 finishing at Dorval Lodge. I probably have notes somewhere and maybe even marked up maps (from FQCK).

As I recall there were a few little used portages near the beginning, a few Class 2 rapids to run and some nice beach campsites on the lakes. At that time I don't think there was much canoe traffic on the route, I don't know if that's changed at all. As you would expect for that area the black flies were bad at the beginning of July. The reservoir was on the low side making for really great wide beaches to camp on.

It took 9 days, I don't remember any particularly long days, at the time I was an "advanced noob", my bow paddler was less experienced and the other tandem were a couple who might have been on an overnighter once or twice. I remember it as a nice trip but a lot of flatwater, typical of that area.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 12:48 am 

Thanks Recped for the info, :thumbup: will be looking in on this site more often as I am preparing for my trip. So you say it took 9 days to the Dorval Lodge, how was navigating in the reservoir Dozois. Where is the best place to get maps. Do I need a special pass to go threw the Park. Any intel is good, thanks again

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 4:55 am 

I don't recall anything much about Dozois other than the beach we camped on, that's probably your only night in the park, if you wanted to voluntarily confess to your trespass after the fact I'm sure they would take your money.

I have an old (1983) map/guide, one page is pretty much illegible but the rest would give you at least some info on rapid locations/grade and perhaps some camp locations that are still valid. It's a minimalist map, just an outline of the river, you definitely need topo's in addition for navigation, you might even want to transfer info in the guide to the topo's. At some point in the next couple of weeks I can scan this map/guide for you.

If you need any tips on how to download and print your own topo maps there are many older threads here or just ask.

You would need pieces from the following 1:50k:
031 0 12
031 N 09
031 N 10
031 N 07
031 N 06

PostPosted: December 7th, 2016, 1:10 pm 

I paddled twice on Reservoir Dozois from the mouth of the Capitachouane river to Dorval Lodge. This is close to the mouth of the Outaouais river. There is a lot of islands allowing paddling close to shore. Some orienteering skills/gears are good assets.

I did called Dorval Lodge to ask the permission to exit at their landing. They were glad to accept.

You can also pay in advance the fees for camping at Le domaine. They send you the invoice via email, you sign it then send back via email. It might be a good idea to give them a call since this is unusual for them because the campsites on Dozois are not maintained.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 9:28 am 

Thank you all for the tips. Concerning downloading topo maps. I have not found the previous threads that could help me find the right maps. If anyone can guide me in this regard. I am thinking maps of the Dozois and Descelles reservoirs would be an asset. Thanks again!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2017, 12:18 pm 

Gooday, so my trip is done. If anyone needs intel on the Ottawa River feel free to ask. Thank you to all who helped before my departure and all the forums and information found on this site. So I completed the entire 1271 km (not including portages) from Lac des Outaouais to St Lawrence Seaway. 14 hydro electric dams, 45+ portages including 60+ rapids. It took 42 days (35 paddling, 3 due to injury and 4 for vacation with family). Amazing river we have. I have taken notes but all is still fresh in my head.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 1:04 pm 

Eager to hear more details!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!