View topic - Water Levels on the Broadback

It is currently October 16th, 2018, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 3:36 pm 

Investigating the possibility of running the Broadback this summer aprox. July 14-Aug 9 in tandem canoes (17 ft. prospectors, no spray decks). I know the river is generally run in August due to water levels. Does anyone have any info on water levels mid-late July? Has anyone run it in July? What is an optimal level for open boats? The government website only has data from 2005 as far as I could find so not particularly useful. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 5:11 pm 

I paddled the lower section last year at 200. Was quite pleased to have a spray deck for warmth and to keep the water out on some of the longer and bigger rapids.

rab

PostPosted: May 13th, 2017, 8:28 pm 

Water levels can be quite variable from year to year.

This page will give you the data from 1972 - 2017, if you poke around that site you can find the data for the old gauge (slightly downstream) covering 1960 - 1972.

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/depot/histor ... 0809_Q.txt

I paddled the river (from the James Bay Hwy) in late August 2004, levels were about 240cms, it felt quite high (records highs were set for the dates but I see they have been surpassed in more recent years). We did a few more portages than we had hoped for and had a bit of risky lining.

I haven't paddled the upper portion but my guess it that high levels are less of a problem given the more gentle elevation profile.

150 - 200 might be the best level but that's really just a guess.