View topic - Any experience with La Verendrye Circuit 15?

It is currently October 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 3:13 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Oh I think I answered my own question - looks like if you go above as they suggest, you have a class 1 and 2 x class 2 that you can run if you are comfortable doing that. Otherwise you portage past those rapids.

But if you take the below route you have a short portage and no rapids to run until you hit the class 3 right after both sides merge back again on the other side of the island.

Would that be accurate?

You cant go to the right. Its rocky, 1 foot deep, fallen trees. Dont worry about these rapids, they are short and easy, you can def walk them.
Its good to have digi maps, since they are more accurate (especially lengths) but the SEPAQ maps are easier to read when you're on the water. When you look up and wonder "Where am I?" the map allows to localize yourself with more ease. Unless youre like me and enjoy bushwacking and making your own loops, stick to their course.

When I look at your loop, you chose to go back on JP towards le domaine, (on the west side) and not via Baie Menard. I would recommend the portage and Baie Menard. Its nicer. Also 15-74 is one of those spots you can reserve ahead of time, maybe you want that. If not 15-71 has a picnic table.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm 

Thanks for the feedback - we did Baie Menard when we did circuits 10 + 11 a couple of years ago and yes it is nice, but I believe the Scouts will appreciate another day with no portages :-) Also if we are lucky like the time we did that route we will have wind in our backs coming down JP and we might even be able to practice rigging up a few sails.

Oh! And that gives me a really good idea of a project to do with the Scouts in the meetings leading up to the trip - we've already shown them how to make their own gear bags with a sewing machine and some nylon material - we have a bunch of material left over that we could use to make sails that slip down over our paddles!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 4:18 pm 

One more thing - that route I posted was my thumb-to-the-wind counter-clockwise route and is not what we'll use.

Here is a clockwise route with my proposed campsites as well. Would appreciate feedback on our stops and sites.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uH4YB ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 9:07 am 

Any recollection of what cell reception is like on that route?

I don't have a clear recollection of what 10+11 was like in 2015 but in 2014 I recall that circuit 30 had no reception at all.

This is something I have to consider with a Scout troop.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 11:04 am 

Also any comments on the series of portages from JP into Lac Poulter?

I just heard from a former Scout leader in our troop who took the troop through this route before my time, and he said that series of portages cost them an entire day that they did not plan for.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Also any comments on the series of portages from JP into Lac Poulter?

I just heard from a former Scout leader in our troop who took the troop through this route before my time, and he said that series of portages cost them an entire day that they did not plan for.

The first is a little muddy in the start, the second is irrelevant, the third has a very sharp uphill start, with a variable end depending on water levels.

I cant imagine how these could take all day, but I've never been with scouts. Like I said, day one for me includes the 4hr drive from Montreal, a 15km travel and stop at the island after the portages. They are short portages, but in a series. Efficient packing in and out will save time, hence ensure gear is in portage mode. I don't know if everyone does this, but my gear can be packed into a canoe for stability and proper weight distribution, or for a quick in and out. Example, fishing rods, axe, saw will remain strapped to the backpack. That way the next portage I just pick up and go.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 1:45 pm 

Thanks. Part of the problem with Scouts is just lots of canoe lined up with nowhere to land to load and unload.

What about cell reception on the route? Any recollection.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 2:18 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
Thanks. Part of the problem with Scouts is just lots of canoe lined up with nowhere to land to load and unload.

What about cell reception on the route? Any recollection.
l

Last year they extended coverage. It works close to the 117. I use a Wilson booster to coordinate departure spots and times, but we usually leave phones in our cars, so I can't speak how it would be during your trip. I know Bell network is much better. Check out the tower locator app.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2018, 10:42 pm 

skookum wrote:
One way I might do it with a youth group, and to allow for reservations so you're not stressing out during the day, might be to take an easy day 1 to 11-115 or 11-118 (both beautiful), do the triple portage the next day and stay at the big beach (another beautiful site) just on the other side - 15-15, paddle Poulter the third day and stay at the HUGE beach site - 15-15, then back to Jean-Pere and the cool multi-level site, 10-49 (with jumping ledge right on the site!). Return via Baie Kearney for something different, or right out Jean-Pere. All reservable sites, and all wonderful.

Thanks Dave / skookum! I just put together another map with this info. I think on night 3 you meant 15-50 and not 15-15 right?

Here is my map.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10ejb4 ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2018, 9:45 am 

Woops, yes, I did mean 15-50 instead of 15-15. Also, I must have mis-read my map on 10-49 - where you have it on your map is not the one I was thinking of, although that is a super-nice site too, maybe better than the one I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of is on the same side of the lake, but a bit earlier (more north), another reservable one. You're a winner either way though. I don't have my maps here otherwise I'd double check.

Dave

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2018, 2:50 pm 

Yeah I was on 10-49 a couple years ago when we did 10+11 - it is a good site.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 9:09 pm 

So we have our sites booked as per this map

http://www.prospector16.com/p/la-verden ... kwise.html

But I'm wondering about the first night based on my own limited experience coming out of Le Domaine as well as comments earlier in this thread. The thought was to beat it to 15-02 on the first day and then an easy day 2 just to the other side of the portages. But given that winds normally come into Le Domaine maybe we are better off with a shorter day 1 to 11-118. Day 2 will still be pretty easy by the looks of it.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 8:21 pm 

We leave on Wednesday - getting pretty psyched!

Right now there is a fire ban but a fair bit of rain in the next few days so here's hoping it will be lifted by the time we are there.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 8:27 pm 

Any experience with site 15-50?

I'm wondering whether there will be enough trees for 4 hammocks

I've heard it is a big beach with kind of a swamp behind it.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 8:31 pm 

Looking at sat view I'm not so worried

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 76969&z=17