View topic - La Verendrye Group Size Cap?

It is currently December 14th, 2018, 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 5th, 2018, 8:55 pm 

Hey folks,

The reservable sites in La Verendrye say they are for up to 20 people.

Is that a hard cap with no flexibility? Not even for youth groups?

It is looking like a good chance I'll have 24 for my trip in July.

thanks.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 11:31 am 

Nobody knows? I know I can probably call but would like to know what people's on-the-ground live experience has been because that does not always mesh with what you get on the phone.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 3:39 pm 

http://www.canot-camping.ca/rules.html

Use campsites according to the number of spaces assigned for tents, as indicated on the guide-maps. For example, sites marked "2" are intended for a maximum of 2 tents. 10 people maximum are authorized per site except for "R" sites and those must be reserved (10 people minimum, 20 people maximum).

Yes, they do enforce the size of groups on the larger/group sites.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 5:11 pm 

Yes I know what the site says - I started out with that.

What experience do you have with this being a true hard cap? Have you ever asked for a variance?

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 5:14 pm 

For example North Frontenac Parklands is also very clear on their site that it is 6 people per site. But if you call and make reservations they will allow you to overpopulate to some degree for youth groups.

Frontenac Provincial Park does not allow for this if you call and ask. As another point of reference.

I'm looking for any personal experiences with seeking variances.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 5:21 pm 

In my experience La Verendrye follow the policies and rules as written, same goes for ANY of the Sepaq locations. It's no different that the rules of Ontario Parks.

Can you get away with more? Sure, just like you can take cans and bottles to Algonquin and get a way with it but it's also possible that a park staff person will arrive at your site and force you to split up or as in Algonquin seize your bottles/cans and issue you a ticket.

Personally I'm not a big fan of park rules but rather than break them intentionally I prefer to go to places where there are no rules.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm 

Yeah it is a tough choice with my Scout troop - normally for the long trip we get a lower rate of interest so it is a problem we have not had in my time with the troop. This year we have a larger troop and a higher ratio of keeners and it is turning into logistics problems. I guess I will get one of my Scout leaders who speaks French well to call and at least ask.

Right now I think I can cap at 20 without disappointing anyone in my own troop but there was another Scout troop that wanted to learn the ropes of tripping from us and send a few along on our trip.

Usually no rules means crown land and that's not a chance I can take with a Scout troop for a number of reasons.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 5:35 pm 

There are a couple of people at the La Verendrye office who speak reasonable English. They are also responsive to email although I don't know what it's like during the off season.

http://www.canot-camping.ca/contact.html