View topic - Small Eastern James Bay Rivers

It is currently August 14th, 2018, 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 29th, 2018, 5:01 pm 

Anyone know anything about these rivers? They're basically all the rivers that cross the James Bay Road, with the exception of the bigs (NBR, Pontax, Eastmain, La Grande). I've not found much so far. From south to north:

Colomb (Broadback tributary)
Tetapishu (Pontax tributary)
Enistuwach (Pontax tributary)
Jolicoeur
L’eau Froide (Eastmain tributary)
Miskimato (Eastmain tributary)
Conn
Vieux Comptoire
Maquatua
Castor Est (Castor tributary)
Castor
Duncan (Castor tributary)
Piagochioui
Roggan

PostPosted: June 30th, 2018, 9:42 pm 

The only one I've read anything about is the Enistuwach, don't remember where I saw the info and it was a long time ago.

Your best bet for info might be from the camp groups that travel the area, Wanapitie, Camp Kandalore or Camp Wabun, I'd bet these camps have travelled some of these routes in the past and would have detailed notes. All of them have extensive archives but it's rare to see anything posted online.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 7:51 pm 

recped, I'm surprised you haven't run any of these rivers. Too short for your liking?

PostPosted: July 1st, 2018, 10:40 pm 

Not really too short although It's a really long drive for a 10 day or less trip. I've done 10 James Bay rivers so far and I am running out of the better known ones.

Here are some of the reasons I haven't gotten to the ones on your list.....

- Little available info (I'm not interested in a 10 day surprise bush crash and many are pretty small possibly Spring ONLY runs)
- Problematic logistics for the ones not ending at or near a community with road access
- some are really tiny where they hit the James Bay Hwy or require serious bushwhacking to get to a point where you can paddle
- I still haven't paddled the North French, Yesterday, Kesagami (lower) or upper Broadback
- Too many rivers, not enough time and I'm committing most of my summers to 6+ week solo trips

Truth be told I'm a bit of wimp, I don't feel all that comfortable on rivers I don't know anything about and what I'm likely to find, the info doesn't need to be highly detailed but I don't like travelling completely blind. I'm counting on people like you to go first and report back so that I can follow.

While most of the James Bay rivers have some scenic spots a lot of it is pretty much paddling though a thick wall of low lying black spruce on either side of the river with muddy banks.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 8:24 am 

recped wrote:
I'm counting on people like you to go first and report back so that I can follow.

Happy to help! Too many rivers, not enough time, eh?

Does anyone know if there is a Quebec equivalent of the Ontario Flow Assessment Tool? https://www.ontario.ca/page/watershed-flow-assessment-tool?