View topic - Canoeing Big Salmon in the fall

It is currently September 25th, 2018, 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 11:12 pm 

Hi all, Has anyone done the Big Salmon River in Sept? How are water levels? Any issues? Are there any parts that may be dangerous? We are taking a man who has MS on the trip. He can walk but cannot paddle so will be in the center of the canoe while bow and stern paddle. Just wanting to make sure there are no surprises. The guy with MS and I have paddled together for 30ish years and hoping we can get one more trip in. Thanks in advance!!!

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2018, 12:04 pm 

It has some whitewater and log jams.. You might contact Up North or Kanoe People in Whitehorse. I expect autumn levels would be low.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 5:53 pm 

We paddled the Big salmon in late August several years ago. The one place we had to get out of the canoe and line/wade was at the big log jam not far below where the river leaves the lakes at the start of the trip. A passenger could likely stay in the canoe through this if needed.

I seem to remember all the campsites being on gravel beaches so easy to get into and out of the canoe. You know your friends abilities but you may want to consider him wearing a true life jacket instead of a paddler's pfd.

There were a lot of salmon swimming up river, we even had one jump in the canoe and lots of signs of bears though we never saw one until we reached the Yukon.

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk