Advertising

View topic - Restaurants in Yellowknife

It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restaurants in Yellowknife
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 4:37 pm 

I doubt I'll ever get to pick a place there, but for some NWT paddler it could be important that the trip's celebrating dinner is no disaster.
The Star has a review of one fish-and-chips place where reporter had a pretty disappointing experience:
http://www.thestar.com/travel/northamer ... ellowknife

which she summarizes as
Quote:
“Hot Beer, Lousy Food, Bad Service: Welcome. Have a Nice Day.”
Sometimes you have to believe what you read.

The author gives the following options:
Quote:
Looking for a great time in Yellowknife? You’ve got options:

Fuego International Cuisine restaurant: Great atmosphere in the heart of town with live singing, large portions, delicious food and great service. http://fuego.diningon50th.com/

Bluefish Services: Take a tour of Great Slave Lake, fish and then head over to one of the tiny islands for a delicious lunch cooked over an open flame. http://www.bluefishservices.ca

Blachford Lake Lodge: Grab a float plan ride up to the Lodge where owner Mike Freeland and his wife, renowned photographer Tessa MacIntosh, offer the perfect mix of gourmet cuisine, rustic surroundings and the promise to wake you up when the “Lights” come on. http://www.blachfordlakelodge.com

Post subject: Re: Restaurants in Yellowknife
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 5:08 pm 

I've probably ended close to a dozen trips with a meal in Bullock's, and haven't been disappointed yet. I prefer it to the Wildcat, which is where most canoeists seem to end up.

Her alternatives - I haven't been to the Fuego. After a trip, going for a shore lunch on an island wouldn't exactly be much of a change. And if she didn't like the bill at Bullock's, the cost of the charter flight to Blatchford would probably kill her.

On the other hand, if you Torontonians choose to believe her, I might be able to get a table next time I'm in town . . .

-jmc

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 11:30 pm 

I had a similar experience at Bullock's last summer, on my return from a long trip on the Barrens. I love the set up and the rough and ready service. No problem there. Entertaining actually. I was sitting elbow to elbow at the counter, the place was packed, grease almost spitting on me from the grill. No worries....I felt fortunate to get a seat in this hopping joint. Chatted with strangers from places far and wide. I waited a long time for my food.

But I had the fish and chips, both drowning in grease, and the cole slaw was truly horrible. In fact I had no choice in the menu at all, it was the last food they had available - end of the day. I can't remember what the fish was, but there was not a choice - it might have been the arctic char. I have eaten char before, both fresh from the river, and fish farm frozen cooked. This char was horrible. I had a couple of bottled beers. I am not a gourmet diner, and I am not picky about fish and chips, but this was truly bad.

I went to pay the bill, and it was something close to $60. I stood there dumbfounded. It was like they were thinking I was some dumb foreign tourist who did not understand the foreign exchange, or something. I stared at the lady, and asked her to repeat the number. There is no menu posted with any prices in the place, but this was rip-off exploitation.

It was a slap in the face. I will never eat there again unless the management changes. Normally I would never slag a local northern place, because they live and die on tourism, and I like to spend my money in northern establishments and support them. But rip me off and laugh at me....sorry, the pact has been broken.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:42 am 

Other than the Wildcat which is a must do in the summer for its historic value, this is one restaurant that is worth it.
http://www.lefrolic.com/

We ate there during the Arctic Winter Games a few winters ago. Great food and service.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M Twai

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:58 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Quote:
Wildcat Cafe to close in 2011 for renovations

The Wildcat Cafe, one of Yellowknife's most well-known historic landmarks, will not open next summer while it undergoes much-needed maintenance.

Known as the city's oldest restaurant, the Wildcat continues to operate every summer in its original log structure, making it a popular tourist destination.

Built in 1937, the Wildcat was designated as a heritage building in 1992 by the City of Yellowknife, and officials say they want to preserve the Old Town building for years to come.

"What will be done is the things that are required to take it the next 10, 20 [and] 30 years," Mayor Gordon Van Tighem told CBC News on Friday.

"We're not trying to turn it into a modern, current Building Code, all-season building. We're looking at the real deal and maintaining it into the future."

The city owns the building, and over the years, various restaurateurs have won contracts to operate the Wildcat Cafe during the summers. In the past few years, the contract has gone to Pierre LePage, a local chef and restaurant owner.
Will reopen in 2012

Next summer will mark the second time the Wildcat has undergone renovations. The first time was in the 1970s. The restaurant will reopen in the summer of 2012.

"The summer is the building season and it's also, unfortunately, the season that the Wildcat is open," Van Tighem said. "But we've reached a period in the Wildcat's history that if something doesn't happen, it's not going to be there.

"With the change in our climate and the age, it's at the point where something has to happen, and the next building season is when it's planned to happen."

The city will spend about $500,000 to fix up the historic site, but Van Tighem said the money will be well spent.

"The cost of doing it — which, of course, is capital funds, not tax money — is significant, but [it's] an investment in our future, representing our past," he said.

"The loss of revenue is minimal because it's operated more as a public service than a profit centre. From the city's perspective, I think it will be a much better facility going forward, and it will be there."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/20 ... renos.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/20 ... -name.html

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 3:36 pm 
CCR Routes Coordinator

"The cost of doing it — which, of course, is capital funds, not tax money — is significant, but [it's] an investment in our future, representing our past," he said.

I'm missing something.
Is there a kitty funded by sources other than taxes?
Is the speaker referring to Yellowknife city taxes?
Are donations the source of the capital funds?

A literal mind is a little mind. (AJ) If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. (AJ)