Advertising

View topic - Passing of Edwin Lindberg

It is currently September 30th, 2014, 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Passing of Edwin Lindberg
PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 4:03 pm 

I received an email recently notifying me that Edwin Lindberg passed away on May 3.

I'm sure there are many on this site who know the Lindbergs better than I. But for those for whom the name is unfamiliar, Sue and Edwin Lindberg were an integral part of the history of the Northwest Territories. Their homestead on the banks of the Liard (Lindberg Landing) served as the endpoint for many paddlers after trips down the Nahanni.

They were some of the nicest and most hospitable people you could ever hope to meet. In my last discussion with Sue, she indicated she was unsure what the future would hold. But she is still full of energy.

The fact that the community centre in Fort Simpson was packed at the funeral was testament to the fact that Ed will be missed by many.

Post subject: Re: Passing of Edwin Lindberg
PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 8:43 am 

I met Edwin and Sue in the summer of 2008 during a trip to the Nahanni. Al Marcon ( long time CCR member) and I shared a wonderful evening at their home on the banks of the Liard river. The food was great, but even better were the stories of how they met when he was sent to a hospital in Ontario as a young man. They were a wonderful couple... he will be missed.

I played Edwin's guitar that night when Al and I jammed some music for them. I remember that he said he could no longer play it due to arthritis... I was happy to be able to help him enjoy its sound again.

My (short) stay at Lindberg's Landing was a memorable part of a wonderful trip...proving once again that the people you meet are at least as important as the destination.

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956