View topic - Trip report update - Whitefish Lake to Great Slave Lake

It is currently February 16th, 2019, 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 17th, 2015, 1:47 am 

JMC
Thanx, good information, I persume that the portages is not of long distance and easy terrain. I believe that the terrain does not have as much sand as the Sandy Lake/Snowdrift River area?

PostPosted: December 18th, 2015, 5:43 pm 

No, the portages were not particularly long or difficult. While there are some sandy areas along Sled Creek (and its continuation, the Eileen River), overall the country is less sandy and more rocky than anything in the Snowdrift valley.

-jmc

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Thanks, any pictures from Sled Creek?

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 8:59 am 

Sounds like a great trip. I am looking for information on portaging from Artillery Lake to Sandy Lake into Whitefish Lake but I am having trouble finding any information online. Is Trout Creek the best route to take?

Cheers!

-Hectop-

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 1:09 pm 

Hectop -

I have not done the Trout Creek route, but my expectation would be that it is the "least worst" and most direct option to reach Whitefish. Frank Wolf did my route in reverse to reach the Thelon, but that is rather indirect. Another possibility would be to use the route up to the Eileen, and then take the esker portage from the unnamed lake below Eileen to Whitefish. The Peake brothers (Che-Mun) followed this route in the 1990s on one of their lengthy expeditions.

I know a group led by George Luste crossed from Sandy to Artillery via Trout Creek in the 1980s. George has unfortunately passed away, and his Nastawgan article from that trip just focused on the Lockhart River, which they descended as an alternative to Pike's portage. I'm not aware of any published descriptions of this route.

In conversation, George described the route to me as rather short on water, and said he thought "Lake of Woe" was an appropriate name!

The wolf hunter from Reliance, Roger Catlin, described it to me as a "sort of" canoe route.

There is a good description of the Sandy - Whitefish crossing in a book by Michael D. Pitt (he has posted here occasionally) called"Franklin, Oops, Mud and Cupcake", very inexpensive on Kindle ($3 Cdn).

Have you tried contacting Dave Oleson? (Google Hoarfrost River Huskies.) His knowledge may be more winter specific, but it can't hurt to ask. I think they see a lot of canoeists passing in the summer.

I look forward to your trip report!

-jmc

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm 

JMC,

Thank you for your quick reply. I landed on Whitefish last summer and canoed down to Double Barrel Lake and spent 2 nights on the beach by Roger Caitlin's old cabin, which is in very rough shape now. If you want to see the pictures and a running blog you can find it here: http://www.lewyckyj.com/Thelon%202017.htm
Caitlin's cabin is about 3/4 of the way through my write up. I have canoed as far as just below the Thelon Bluffs over the years but I thought that a Yellowknife to Baker Lake trip is a "must" in any adventurer's life!
I will go through some of your suggestions and see what I can glean.

Cheers!

PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 3:43 pm 

Hi Andrew, did you ever do your trip in 2005? Last year we landed on the very Western end of Whitefish Lake and canoed all the way down to Double Barrel Lake on the Thelon. I have studied the maps and would love to do Pike's Portage to Artillery lake and then the Trout Creek route to Sandy lake and then into Whitefish and then all the way to Baker Lake. I have heard that the Trout Creek is hard but I have not spoken to anyone who had first hand knowledge. Did you do it? You can PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that.

Cheers!

-Nestor-