View topic - SONY Action Camera Review

It is currently December 12th, 2018, 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 10:27 am 

Here's a review of my favorite waterproof camera that I now take along on all my canoeing adventures.
When it comes to high-performance action cameras, GoPro is not the only game in town. Over the last year and a half I've been using a Sony AS200V action camera on all my canoe/kayak and backpacking adventures. This tiny camera records amazingly detailed HD video at a very high data rate, and it has a microphone input jack allowing you to capture great sound. It also comes with a versatile remote with built-in view screen allowing you to easily compose all your shots .I finally got around to putting together a video review of this great little camera, but perhaps I'm too late. It seems Sony has since come out with a newer version, the AS300 which shares almost the exact same specifications but utilizes a smaller remote unit. Anyways, for what it's worth, if you care to check out the approach Sony takes in building their action cameras, please check out the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMOAdWcbfU
Cheers
-Wayne

Last edited by TheOneCanoe on November 23rd, 2018, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm 

Always good to compare.

I took a quick look at the AS300 and it looks to be priced around $400 at the moment compared to around $330 for a GoPro Hero 5 Black. Both provide image stabilization up to 1080p/60 but the GoPro also provides 1080p/120 and 4k/30 (ignoring the in between 2K formats that I haven't seen a use for) although not stabilized. The Sony appears to max out at 1080p/60.

I'm looking forward to getting a GoPro Hero 7 Black sometime next year that will give me 4K/60 with image stabilization. There will probably still be a few times I would use 1080p/120 or 1080p/240 for the higher frame rates, but if I can get 60fps stabilized at 4K I'm pretty sure that would become my default recording format.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 9:24 pm 

I was looking at this one last year as I wanted an audio-in jack and appreciate the imaging, but opted for the Hero6 for waterproofness and comparable (some argue better) imaging. Also couldn't get over the remote and lack of playback (without a phone)...that was a dealbreaker. The Hero6 interface is excellent. Also gotta love 240fps at 1080p. Only complaint is some bugginess which seems to be fixed with a factory reset now and then. The Sony is a good camera for the right user though.

I haven't switched to 4K yet. It requires much more storage space and processing power to edit, and most screens aren't 4K yet if you're putting it on YT so the benefit is lost.