View topic - Unmanned drone regulations in Canada

It is currently December 11th, 2018, 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 11th, 2017, 12:26 pm 

Unmanned drone regulations coming soon to Canada

For those who have one or thinking of getting one you should be following this so there are no surprises.

I have been following it a bit since I subscribe to the all T.C. notifications.

To move forward in the report just look for the itty-bitty "next" arrow on the lower left of the page right above the "home" & "Important Notices" Links.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications ... l=42&Ses=1

Edit - I think recommendation # 14 will have some interesting interpretations because of the number of Outdoor people that have their own blogs and websites.
So defining what is "professional" will be interesting.
A fact that could be argued by small outdoor person # 1 has legally registered company and small outdoor person # 2 who has a fairly large social media following.
Both sites they have are relatively the same sort of outdoor coverage... but # 1 will have to have a lic. # 2 does not.... this I think will be a big grey area, but no doubt will be covered eventually.

Quote:
RECOMMENDATION 14

That the committee recommend that Transport Canada require a permit for all pilots of commercial and professional unmanned air vehicles and that Transport Canada study the possibility of requiring a permit for pilots of recreational unmanned air vehicles that pose a risk to the public based on size, speed or other factors.

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 8:34 pm 

I was just reading about the rules in national parks. Vague at best. It says No drones allowed, then continues on and says that you can get a UAV permit at such and such a place.
So what's the rule?

Eighth bullet on the "prohibited activities" page:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/sk/grasslands ... sit2a.aspx

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 9:00 pm 

Seems clear to me, drones are not allowed unless you get an SFOC.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 9:17 am 

New Drone rules announced today.
Effective Immediately.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.4027486

Quote:
The rules, which are effective immediately according to an advance copy of his speech, will mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones are caught flying:

Higher than 90 metres,
Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people.
At night.
Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land.
Without contact information marked on the drone itself.
Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.

Quote:
"His speech says an overhaul of Canada's regulations for all unmanned aircraft is coming in June, but there's an urgent need to do something now."

Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 10:07 am 

people? So you have to put the drone down, back away 75m and then liftoff? Weird.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 12:51 pm 

Hoolio316 wrote:
people? So you have to put the drone down, back away 75m and then liftoff? Weird.

You are basing that on the CBC's summary of the rules???????

How about looking at the actual regulations........

(b) at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/inter ... craft.html

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 1:57 pm 

Thanks recped. That makes sense.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 12:15 pm 

recped wrote:
Seems clear to me, drones are not allowed unless you get an SFOC.

This was my understanding as well. I was hoping to do some video in Algonquin this summer and called the park office a couple times to inquire but have not had a response from them at all to any of my messages.

Will post an update if I can get a chance to chat with someone.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 3:48 pm 

There are a bunch of drone discussion boards out there. A brief skim through recent threads indicates....

1 - As you would expect, every Province has different rules

2 - There is very little if any clarity, current regulations do not differentiate between manned and unmanned aircraft

3 - Bottom line....today you need an SFOC to fly an aircraft in an Ontario PP and an aircraft includes a drone

PostPosted: June 27th, 2017, 10:02 am 

Here is the latest info out of Ottawa.
I suggest that if you have a drone for image taking you get involved with a group that represents your interests on this issue.

Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6.0 or higher is required to view this report.

http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer ... 12-421-150

Direct link

http://www.ourcommons.ca/content/Commit ... 0_GR-e.pdf

My interest here is with the paddling community, and that since I get all the announcements from T.C. it just makes it easy for me to share with the paddlers that do.

Jeff

PostPosted: June 27th, 2017, 3:47 pm 

Interesting note. We are shooting a promo video this year and the company uses a drone. Well we got talkin, and apparently you need insurance which costs a few thousand per year. I thought that was ridiculous as insurance for flying an airplane is not that bad, but there is a company offering day insurance in Canada for drones. I know you need a restricted radio license(super simple exam from Industry Canada). BTW you can get a license for drones at the Waterloo Airport, good folks over there. This may only apply to commercial use. I see these drone things a lot now. Thank goodness I have not encountered one in the air, only cormorants!