View topic - For those amongst us that sit on the bottom

It is currently February 19th, 2019, 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 12:58 pm 

So I bought a canoe in June, very nice bluewater kevlar. It sits much higher in the water than I'm used to and I find I get a much more stable ride when I sit on the floor in front of the back seat. The obvious drawbacks are a soaked backside and a sore back from resting on the seat.

I'm hoping someone can suggest some ideas for customization that will enable me to continue sitting low in the canoe and stay dry while not hurting my back on the seat. I should also add that I'm 6'4" and sometimes getting into the canoe is tricky as my knees barely fit under the thwart.

I thought about taking the seat out and just leaving the rear cross bar from the seat so I have some back support but more room between said bar and the thwart.

Would a canoe chair like the ones from sail work if I braced it to the bar idea like I mentioned before or will it be sliding all over the place under me while I paddle.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, I've found this website to be a great resource of awesome people and ideas!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 1:15 pm 

Hi AlanGee,

I'm 6'2 and have similar issues. I lowered the seat in my boat about 2" using longer bolts/wooden dowels. I sit with my left foot/leg tucked under the seat and my right leg extended straight out. I would check with Bluewater to see if they sell hardware to lower the seat.

MikeD.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 7:59 am 

A tractor seat will help prevent wet bum syndrome and allow a lower center of gravity. Downside is replacing a bench seat with a tractor seat will not allow kneeling with feet under the seat for more efficient paddling, which might be wanted as time goes on. And it will not allow a symmetrical canoe to be paddled reversed from the bow seat which might be another option.

For me, switching positions from sitting, kneeling and sitting on the bottom taking a breather is valuable and makes for a more enjoyable time so the bench seat is preferred... maybe adding some cushioning material, like foam could help with back pain.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 7:11 pm 

Try a Kayak seat like the ones used in the Swift Pack boats. This should solve the problem.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm 

If you wear your PFD, the foam of the PFD can make it more comfortable when you're leaning back against the seat.

Smartwool or Icebreaker merino wool gitch dry quickly, as well as ExOfficio pants. I also carry a piece of silicone foam to sit on, on top of a towel. The towel soaks up water. The foam protects my butt from the towel. When the towel gets too wet, I squeeze the excess water out.

You could probably move the thwart a few inches and not compromise the stiffness of the canoe.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 8:38 am 

Just lower the seat. Seat heights should not be fixed in stone.

Your boat will be more squirrely when empty. Load it with tripping gear and you may be able to dance in it.

Sitting on the bottom in cold water will make for a miserable paddling experience and the boat is too high in sheer to allow for a good stroke. Pack Canoes which ARE designed with kayak seating are cut down on the sides for this very reason.

Unless you have a back problem a well fitted and canted seat should not give your sciatica in your legs or cramps in your back.. You need the front edge a little lower than the back and if you are seated a foot bar will do wonders for back comfort.. You are fighting to stay in place with each stroke if you have nothing to put your feet on to push off with. Look at kayaks. they all have foot pegs.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2018, 9:02 am 

Have you tried kneeling?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.