Advertising

View topic - H2O Composites canoes?

It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2O Composites canoes?
PostPosted: September 14th, 2010, 5:36 pm 

Does anyone have a H2O Composites canoe? I was all set to buy a Bell Magic and saw their 16/6 solo. Anyone know how many layers they use in their Helium Lay -Up?

Post subject: Re: H2O Composites canoes?
PostPosted: September 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm 

I looked at them a couple weeks ago,They are built in two sections and then joined together.I didnt like the seam at all,it runs side to side right in the center.The seam is very visible and you can feel it with your hand. They said it was because of the tumblehome that it had to be formed on two sections.I wonder how Bell does it? I think Bell has way better quality boats but that is just my opinion.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 10:55 pm 

Neither the Bell nor the H20 Solo boats are built in two pieces and joined together (or any other composite canoe for that matter). The molds for any canoe with any kind of 'recurve' on the other hand, must be built in two parts, and clearly from the 'seam' (not actually a seam at all, just the impression on the canoe of the break in the mold) the H20 boat is layed up in a mold that is divided 'crossways' (ie. cut in half across the middle of the boat) and the Bell is layed up in a mold that is divided lengthways with the seam running the entire length of the boat from bow to stern right down the middle, thus making the 'seam' far less apparent. There would be absolutely no other way of removing a canoe with such extreme tumblehome from a mold.

The Frontenac Outfitters website has good technical information on the H20 Composites canoes

PostPosted: September 24th, 2010, 7:32 am 

Just to clarify. The old Bells were molded length ways. The new Bells are molded cross ways. They build the Northshore(20 footer) by adding a center section(3 feet) to the Northwind mold whenever they need a Northshore. Saves $ and the canoes have a much shorter "seem" to clean up when they pull it out of the molds.
CB

PostPosted: September 24th, 2010, 9:34 am 

great info cb, I think the way the mold is set up for the northshore/northwind is quite neat, having a bolt in centre mold section to add to the length.

as far as the mold break or seam goes, it's orientation is inconsequential to the strength or durability of the canoe I would guess, just the amount of clean up work to make certain it is minimally visible as far as aesthetics are concerned.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2010, 10:50 am 

So who bought it?
I'd just like to thank the purchaser of the Solo 16, saved my VISA a big hit it really didn't need right now, thank you :clap:

I was drooling over that Golden Brawn layup, and it looks like pretty much the perfect flatwater solo. Would like to hear a review on how it paddles.