Advertising

View topic - Towing Canoe with Motorcycle?

It is currently September 18th, 2014, 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Towing Canoe with Motorcycle?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 2:27 pm 

I've been looking at more fuel efficient cars, and am really excited about the Elio: http://www.eliomotors.com/

This is a 2-seat, three-wheeled, 55hp vehicle that will sell in the USA for $6800, and get 84mpg (US, which is about 100mpg Imperial). Hopefully it will also come to Canada

But, the question for all new purchases is "could I use this on a canoe trip". Clearly, the vehicle does not have the capacity for 2 adults with a full load of canoe-trip equipment/supplies. However, most of this stuff is just bulky, not heavy. 55hp is more than adequate to move it (in fact, 1/8th of a horsepower gets it all over the portages), but I wonder about the stability at speed/handling/braking. I'm envisioning a very light trailer that has racks for one canoe - with the food/equipment on a platform underneath the canoe, maybe 350lbs total including the ultralight trailer.

I am confident that if a motorcycle could do this, so could the Elio, which would mean the 5-passenger Mitsubishi Mirage (bigger, but only 64mpg/hwy-most fuel efficient non-hybrid car in Canada) would not be necessary. I've long believed that the smallest car would be adequate for a canoe trip, but the Elio might require a special trailer (the cost of which would be easily offset by the savings in price and gas).

So - has anyone towed a canoe with a motorcycle? How did it go? Any issues in side winds?

Post subject: Re: Towing Canoe with Motorcycle?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 3:47 pm 

This isn't mine.......

My friend showed up for a trip one year riding his bike and towing the canoe & gear. He didn't mention anything about problems and had driven at least 1000km. as you can, not a overly powerful bike.

Attachment:
bike_trailer.jpg
bike_trailer.jpg [ 516.56 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 4:07 pm 

Ontario, and as far as I know every other province, considers three wheelers a motorcycle. So you need a motorcycle license & wear a helmet, doors & roof or not. I wouldn't hold my breath on these coming to Canada, and licensing a vehicle for the road that isn't on the approved list is a PITA to just import, getting it plated is almost impossible (and there's always a chance some bureaucrat could change their mind on a whim and have it declared unroadworthy).

There are lot's of trailers for bikes around these days (the single wheel ones handle better) and there's a guy around here with a sidecar that straps his kayak on it to go paddling.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 4:59 pm 

What's old is new again!

https://www.google.com/search?q=isetta& ... l&tbm=isch

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 10:10 pm 

Isetta's have four wheels! :thumbup:

Hey, who said you need a trailer anywho?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 10:49 pm 

[quote="CLofchik"]Isetta's have four wheels! :thumbup:

Only the fancy and slightly newer versions, the original had one rear wheel.

"The first prototypes had one wheel at the rear, but having a single rear wheel made the car prone to roll-overs, so the rear wheel layout was changed to two wheels set 48 cm (19 in) apart from each other."

PostPosted: March 10th, 2014, 11:42 am 

CLofchik - Great pictures. The bottom one is obviously photshopped for a gag, but the top one makes sense . . . might not work for a 17' boat.

As for the admissibility into Canada - I realize it is a long-shot, but it does seem possible. I have a bike license, and getting one for new owners would be easy enough, considering you can take the test on the same vehicle (which likely drives like a car). If it succeeds in the USA, they will likely have the means to go through whatever regulatory process is necessary. Personally, I prefer the Urbee, as it was created right here in Winnipeg, but it seems that project is even further from commercial production.

Those mini-trucks look like fun, but I imagine a scenario where I'm going down the highway and have to hit the shoulder/ditch to avoid an oncoming vehicle. In my imagination of this, I roll over, sometimes end over end! I could be wrong, but they look very light, short, narrow, and maybe top-heavy.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

Quebec does not require a motorcycle license for a 3 wheeler.