View topic - Questions about pack size and best setup

It is currently September 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm 

NightShark wrote:
The MEC packs I see look like the usual hiking packs.

My MEC Slogg packs are similar to backpacks I guess. I'm not familiar with the Eureka but I have a Seal Line too and I don't notice a massive difference in them. The MEC ones are a thicker material.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:40 pm 

It seems like the MEC Slogg line has been discontinued, if they bring out a new line they should show up really soon....

The MEC Scully line is also a thing of the past.

Unless it's a seasonal thing, paddle sports don't even rate their own top level menu on the home page anymore, buried in "more"!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 1:16 pm 

Mec still carries a cheap portage pack:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-335/ ... rtage-Pack

In order to keep things organized on our trips, each person takes a 30L barrel. In each barrel go the person's clothes, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and chair. This has the benefit of keeping those items 100% waterproof, even when taking unexpected swims; I swear those rocks magically surface just as you pick the perfect whitewater line.

If you forgo the luxury of a chair, and 4" thick mattress, two people can fit their clothes, ultralight sleeping mats, and mild weather down bags in one 30L barrel. That is how we use to manage single carries, but thanks to very early arthritis my days of sleeping on a 1" thick mattress are over.

My blackfeather portage pack fits 2 barrels, plus tent and bug shelter. I suspect most portage packs should fit 2 barrels. Heavier barrels (food) get their own harness.

Cheers, Simon

PostPosted: March 7th, 2018, 9:13 pm 

As many have pointed out, there is no right or wrong when it comes to what you're carrying and how you're carrying it, it is very personal to style, taste etc.

Here's a video I uploaded to YouTube outlining what we usually carry in our portage pack, a 115L Slogg Drybag from MEC. I'm also hoping that MEC isn't listing any of their own products because they are gearing up for the spring/summer season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vUuIXAbHo

The load out you see in the video is the same for us no matter what length of trip we go on, as we can fit pretty much all the gear for my wife and I in the pack with relative ease. Weight isn't too heavy with it either, it is more cumbersome than anything else.

Along with that we will have a 60L barrel and harness that we pack the food, pots and pans and stove in. If we have our kids joining us, we will have a second backpacking style backpack that we will load with a compression dry bag for each of the girls in the backpack that has their sleeping bag and clothes in the dry bag. We will also stuff some other odds and ends in the bag too as we see fit.

We are usually able to single-carry every portage with minimal exertion, packing light and smart each time.

Any other questions feel free to let me know!

Tim

PostPosted: March 8th, 2018, 3:25 pm 

NightShark wrote:
scoops wrote:
When I am tripping with my wife we use the following:
1 115L Boundary Pack that has a 3 person tent, 2 sleeping bags( crush sacks), 2 sleeping pads, night kit( sleeping clothes, books) and 2 senate seats. Pack is maybe 3/4 full. Notice everything needed for the tent is in this bag.
1 50L with clothes and a couple of small packs for personal items.
1 60 L barrel for food, axe, saw, pots, high test drinks. Is always heavier than the big pack, has a really good harness to handle the weight. Everything in here goes by the fire.
Sealline Pro Packs last forever but we use Boundary Packs( both 15 years old) with no issues at $100 less.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/404/seal ... roof-packs

As i get older I'm ok with double carrying portages. We don't do without. Tripping is a treat, enjoy it.

the 50L with your clothes and personal items, does that also go in your 115L pack? or do you carry that separately?

Thanks again for this info. It really helps!

55L is usually about 3/4 full. Like I said we are enjoying luxury items. I like to keep the weight down in the bags so wife( bad back) can carry and handle them. Barrel and canoe are mine. Small packs carry rain gear, extra sweater, snacks etc. Maybe 15L each.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 5:20 pm 

For what its worth when preparing for a group of two, I pack as follows for one 16 or 17' royalex canoe:

• 115L Dry Bag (Eureka or Sealine Pro) - Tent, 2 thermarest mattresses, 2 sleeping bags and pillows in compression roll-top dry sacks, 2 10L ultralight dry sacks for clothing (one for each participant), 2 Joey Chairs (or Helinox), two pair of dry shoes/boots for camp; Total weight usually 40 to 50lbs;
  • 60L Barrel and Harness - Food, liquor, kitchen kit; Total weight usually 40 to 50 lbs to support 7 to 10 days of food requirements;
  • 40L North Face Base Camp Duffels (has shoulder straps, one duffel for each paddler, usually packed in boat such that access is readily available) - Ancilliary/Personal gear goes in here such as camera equipment and electronics (usually packed in small dry box), fishing gear, rain wear, fuel, tools (brush axe), repair kit, base camp water filter and miscellaneous items including the day's lunch rations; Total weight usually 20 to 30 lbs each;
  • 10L Seal Line Dry Bag - used as a ditch kit, contains stainless steel water bottle, ration of food, Katadyn Hiker Pro water pump, water treatment tablets, fire starter, leather man, para-cord and other items;

I typically strap all packs (except 10L ditch kit) into the canoe creating a stabilized load for the rapids. Total load across all packs is usually 150lbs or less. 4 packs can be portaged using 1 and a 1/2 method, but we typically make two trips across and stay together.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2018, 10:31 pm 

recped wrote:
It seems like the MEC Slogg line has been discontinued, if they bring out a new line they should show up really soon....

Unless it's a seasonal thing, paddle sports don't even rate their own top level menu on the home page anymore, buried in "more"!

The Slogg is back but only in 35l and 70l. Hopefully more products are coming or they've dropped the 115l and 115l deluxe. They updated the look to fit the direction MEC seems to be heading in.... "We don't have the gear you need for the backcountry but we'll make you look great in the city!"

Scully line is back too.

I have an old 115l and I would say my Sealline is slightly more rugged but not by much. The lower price and the grab handles on the Slogg pack for me make it win out over the Sealline.

The Eureka packs are also nice but I like the harnesses on the MEC & Sealline packs better.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2018, 8:41 pm 

Neil Fitzpatrick wrote:
recped wrote:

The Slogg is back but only in 35l and 70l. Hopefully more products are coming or they've dropped the 115l and 115l deluxe. They updated the look to fit the direction MEC seems to be heading in.... "We don't have the gear you need for the backcountry but we'll make you look great in the city!"

The MEC Slogg 115 is coming back, in regular, deluxe and "HD" (heavy duty?) versions and new colours. Not sure what the "HD" will be but it will be the top-of-the-line Slogg.

John G
#MECStaffer (Kitchener)

PostPosted: May 8th, 2018, 1:56 pm 

For 2 of us, we has a Eureka 115L canoe bag, a MEC 65L backpack and a 30L food barrel.
We manage to pack all the sleeping stuff, tent, clothes, food, cookware etc, as well a couple of Helinox chairs in all that.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 12:29 pm 

Welcome Night Shark, your going to become addicted to the wilderness, so prepare yourself for that addiction..lol

I have a big issue myself, I am a gear freak and I have a fetish for collecting sleep systems (I guess 30+ years of canoeing and backpacking trips can do that to a person :)
I take the same approach as gcc_mtl. I take all the gear and food and divide it up amongst the number of ppl equally, minus some weight for the canoe carrier(s). The number of days should only effect food quantity. Gear is the same regardless of duration. I am very weight conscious being that 50% of my trips are long distance backpacking, but will afford myself some luxury items for a canoe trip since carrying is much less (this is usually in the liquid form :)

For 2 people 4 days:
I would take canoe and gear in a pack. (approx 35lb gear + 40lb canoe)
the other (usually my wife) carries food and clothes in a dry pack. (approx 10-15lb food + 10-15lb clothes)

For 3 people 4 days:
1- carries canoe and food in backpack
1- carries some gear and clothes
1- carries some gear and clothes.
I try to keep everyone other than the canoe carrier to around 35-40lbs , 40 is max.
40 lbs is the comfort zone that a body can take over a long duration, anymore and walking must be shortened or less frequent.
Always plan to single carry, I have never double carried. Some portages can be many kilometers long or be very strenuous and difficult, this will eat into your day big time. You should have no more than one reasonable weighted pack per person. Any more and your carrying to much stuff, trim down.

After each trip I take an inventory as I unpack, what did I not use, or use less than I thought. Those items are generally dropped off the list on the next trip. Keep downsizing. Allot of stuff people carry in the beginning never gets used. When you packing up all the stuff on the table, you will think you need everything, so audit yourself at the end to continue to minimize weight.

NOTE: sleep systems are included in my gear weight (bags, pad, hammock or tent, fishing gear).

As mentioned by many, there is no perfect system or canoe, we all have our go to items and ways of doing things. You too will develop what you like best, then you will spend many years fine tuning it. As long as you're enjoying yourself, that is all that matters. After 30 years I still swap out gear, buy new things and change up how I pack my pack and transport.

If you wish a complete gear list with weights, just PM me and I will send what I generally pack up.

My two cents,

Enjoy!!

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

Last edited by Captaincanadian on June 21st, 2018, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 1:43 pm 

A couple of people have mentioned that hiking and alpine packs are not suitable for portaging.

As someone who is coming from wilderness hiking and has just dipped the toe into canoeing why would my hiking pack not be appropriate?

I took a short trip last year with a friend and we just used our 60L hiking packs. I didn't notice it was a problem.

So maybe someone could enlighten me as to why I should invest in a different pack for canoeing??

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 2:07 pm 

Hiking backpack might too long to fit in a canoe and probably soak the contents from water in the boat. Canoe packs tent to be wide and squatter but you do see them out there.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 2:47 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:
Hiking backpack might too long to fit in a canoe and probably soak the contents from water in the boat.

Both my hiking packs fit into my canoe (and the one I rented last year). Orange trash bag liner keeps water out.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 4:03 pm 

ameaney wrote:
Both my hiking packs fit into my canoe (and the one I rented last year). Orange trash bag liner keeps water out.

If it's working for you, don't worry about it!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 5:00 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
If it's working for you, don't worry about it!

For now it's working and I am open to change.

I was just curious to hear some responses from people who quite definitively said that hiking packs were appropriate for canoeing. Especially from someone who's tried it and eventually switched to "canoe packs"