View topic - Questions about pack size and best setup

It is currently November 15th, 2018, 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 20th, 2018, 8:42 pm 

Ameaney if you have hiking packs and dont want to invest thats fine. I used hiking packs for a few years before getting traditional portage packs. Ive got lots of both lol

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 6:43 am 

gnatwest wrote:
Ameaney if you have hiking packs and dont want to invest thats fine. I used hiking packs for a few years before getting traditional portage packs. Ive got lots of both lol

So what was the reason you switched to traditional portage packs? What have you found to be the advantage over hiking packs?

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 7:35 am 

I came to canoeing from wilderness backpacking as well, my brother is my usual partner for both hiking and canoeing. Both of us carry about 50L backpacks when hiking and use mostly the same gear when canoeing. Usually we just bring a bigger tarp, more fresh food, a bigger camp kitchen, and more "Apple Juice."

We made our set up so we can single carry most portages. I personally really like the Slogg Deluxe (Slogg HD now) 120L as we can both just shove all our gear in one pack. It's usually only 3/4 full or less and the frame makes it really nice to carry. Then we usually take a 30L barrel with a harness (or 60L if we're with a larger group) that we use for all our kitchen stuff and food (fuel goes in the Slogg).

When portaging we usually switch off, one guy takes the Slogg pack and canoe and the other takes the barrel and paddles. Barrel guy "breaks trail" and tries to clear / clean up the trail in front and keeps pace. On longer portages he will drop his barrel and paddles after 20 minutes and jog/hike back to the canoe carrier and take the canoe off him. Both of us then continue on to the barrel again and then switch jobs, repeating every 20 minutes. This really helps knock off some long portages really quickly and easily.

Mostly we've just been lake hopping with this setup, and I haven't really had to deal with the Slogg being in the drink for longer then a few minutes. I keep all my clothes / sleeping gear in a compression drybag as well inside which has been good enough so far.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 12:03 pm 

ameaney, It is simply a matter of personal preference. Most canoeists prefer barrels and dry bags due to the risk of 'going into the drink', but the use of a hiking backpack is just fine as well and you can line it with a silynylon dry bag to keep your stuff dry in the event you and your gear do go for an unplanned swim. I normally just pack the sleeping bag, and clothes in a dry sack, the hard gear is fine to get wet (although I have never dumped as of yet...<touch wood>..)
As for myself, it all depends on what I am bringing, how long and where I am going. I own all 3 styles of bags and may use just one type or combination. I have never had an issue fitting a backpack into a canoe (and use a backpack most often, over the other two styles)

There is no right or wrong, just preference, use whatever works for you.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey