View topic - Modifying a MEC Slogg Pack

It is currently September 25th, 2018, 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2018, 8:45 am 

Hey folks, I love my MEC Slogg but at the same time I can see why some people like those old school Dumoine style packs with all the pockets and lash points.

I am wondering if anyone has ever modified a SLogg and if so could they post photos and details.

I am thinking some lash points that you normally glue into your canoe maybe a few of those strategically located on the outside of the pack or something.

Any ideas out there?

PostPosted: July 5th, 2018, 12:46 pm 

Yes, I have done this on a Watershed pack though I sewn my own patches from some vinyl and plastic Ds rather than the steel rings. The trick will be in finding the right glue. The Slogg pack is PVC free, most patches are PVC so the vinylbond normally used may not work. You could try a PU glue like Seamgrip but it would need clamping until set.

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk

PostPosted: July 9th, 2018, 8:06 am 

Well one thing I discovered on the trip I just got back from is that having some smaller dry bags that you clip to your main pack works well too. MEC has a couple of different lines of dry bags including Brooks, and they also have the Pack Rat roll top bags which are a lot less expensive. On this trip I had a 5L brooks for my electronics, a 5L brooks for my daily food, and a 10L Pack Rat for misc stuff like map and whatever other odds and ends ended up in the boat.

They bounce around a bit on the portages but in general it works well. It would still be good to have extra lash points on the pack to affix them to - thanks for the tip on the glue. I'll have to do some research.

MEC Pack Rat roll tops
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-852/ ... Stuff-Sack