View topic - which solo boat/small tandem to buy?

It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 24th, 2018, 12:50 pm 

We have the use of a Kee' 16 for a weekend coming up, with kneeling thwart. Also looking ot paddle a Souris River Quetico 16'

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: September 25th, 2018, 12:01 pm 

cheryl wrote:
LRC, I think you nailed it on the head. We are both in the 5'2-5'7 range. That would mean getting a solo AND a new MW boat

You are at least better stature-suited for a pocket-tripper than a plus-sized tandem team. And for many of the solo canoes on the market.

The preponderance of solo canoes seem designed for small to mid-sized paddlers, and/or light packers or day paddlers, perhaps reflecting the size, style and intentions of their designers.

Very few of the dedicated solo canoes would meet my big boy, big load tripper needs. Some of the manufacturers have finally gotten around to designing canoes useful as big boy solo trippers, and have me dreaming of a new, lighter weight composite solo tripper.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2018, 11:18 am 

I know I missed the mark with the material of the first post I made (oops... :oops: ), but here is one option, seems exactly what you had originally been looking at, though I see that the discussion has evolved since then:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1390079794 (not my boat)

PostPosted: October 11th, 2018, 11:25 am 

Nice boat! Nice price, though I doubt it is sub-40lb ... but it won't last long and hopefully cheryl can make an inquiry before it's gone!

PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 10:42 am 

thanks for the post. I contacted the seller exactly 2 hour after he posted it, and he has already has many replies. He had so many replies, he said the first one to put their foot first in his driveway on Sat. at 1 a.m. would get the boat. Regretfully, it was not me!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2018, 7:42 pm 

thanks to Corbeau (boy is he fast on the e-mail!)and Open Side Up I picked up a Bob today. It needs some small patching and a bit of work, but it will do the job for now. Have my eye on an Osprey for long distance solo'ing and instructing...

PostPosted: November 9th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

Glad you found the boat you wanted! I just remember being frustrated missing out on boats when I was looking for mine...happy I could help!