Advertising

View topic - Restigouche River input sought

It is currently September 16th, 2014, 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Restigouche River input sought
PostPosted: December 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I'm still working on finding out how people are supposed to provide input. (Great news reporting, CBC.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... tions.html

Quote:
Restigouche River input sought

Communities along the Restigouche River are seeking public input on how to better promote and manage the eco-tourism potential of the region.

"The Restigouche is a big economic engine as you know for this area," said Yves Gagnon, who is in charge of the public consultations, being held until next week.

"A lot of people use it for recreational purposes, but also to earn their living off of it, so it is an important piece of our infrastructure."

Gagnon wants to create new rules and regulations to protect the river and the millions of dollars it brings in to the local economy.

He's looking at existing management plans for the rivers in Maine, Quebec and western Canada. But he also hopes to hear from local salmon camp owners, canoe outfitters and citizens.

Some people, like canoe outfitter Andre Arpin, say the amount of motorboat traffic and drinking along the river has become excessive.

Arpin would like to limit the number of motorboats and see more camping and angling instead.

People should also be able to reserve spots in advance, and logging in the watershed should be strictly controlled, he said.

In addition, Arpin believes protection should be extended to the entire watershed.

The current consultations only deal with the parts of the river that run along the border between New Brunswick and Quebec, he said.

Post subject: Re: Restigouche River input sought
PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 2:14 pm 

I agree with Andre, there is way to much traffic on the river in the summertime, a lot of it drunken partiers. The salmon lodges bring in fishermen who pay crazy amounts for the right to fish in some of the best salmon water in NA only to have groups of drunks in canoes come by when they are fishing.
I have had this discussion with others that there should be a reservation system with a limited number of campers on the river at one time and that the Heritage designation should be extended both up and down river. This would raise the specialness of an outing for both fishermen and canoeists. I do both and stay away only doing fall trips on the river after everyone else goes home.